PDA

View Full Version : Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bill Dix
10-18-2010, 01:29 PM
I've been challenged many times by these guys; tiny birds not much larger than a hummingbird, that refuse to sit for more than a second at a time. After hiking 5 miles through the woods in search of birds, I found this one in the parking lot right next to my car. He (she?) retreated a bit into the woods by the time I captured this (one of only two quick frames) in mottled light filtered through the forest canopy. I might have wished for a bit of head turn, and maybe (in my dreams) a male with his red crest raised. But I'll take what I can get.

D90 | 80-400 VR @ 370mm | ISO 800 | 1/500s @ f/7.1 | -1.3 EV | HH

DeanNewman
10-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Tough capture, for sure, Bill. I've tried and failed myself. I like the perch and BG and agree with your HA comment. To my eye, the bird's eye looks soft.

Bill Dix
10-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks Dean. I noticed after I posted it that it looked soft. I was being overly cautious not to oversharpen, which I may have done in this repost.

Aidan Briggs
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey Bill, you're doing better than me with this species!. Nice perch, and good job with the filtered light. The bird isn't too soft, it just looks like the focus was more on the wing than on the head.

Looking forward to more!!

DanWalters
10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Nice perch and the soft light brings out some really nice colors.

Alan Murphy
10-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Hey Bill, nice shot of this species. Agree that the focus hit the wing. Wish the bird turned his head a bit. I like the perch.

Daniel Cadieux
10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
These perpetual movement machines can be tough to get! You did alright, but I wish for a better head turn, and agree about critical focus. Perhaps some selective sharpening of the face would give a better perception of focus point. There is also a bluish cast on the kinglet..no doubt cause bu it being in some partial shade.

P.S. Some individuals of this species respond well to audio if you are into that type of in-the-field technique...;)