PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Harrier

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Not sure how shy Swamp (Marsh) Harriers are elsewhere, but these have to be the shyest of all the raptors I have ever tried to photograph. I am currently setting up a hide in my local patch to try and capture one closer. This is unfortunately a bigger crop then I like, it's only 60% of the original. But it has the right pose and light I liked hence why I didn't compost the RAW file in the digital compost bin. I am pretty certain this is the male of the pair that have now built a nest in this swamp. I watched both adults performing their insane courting aerial displays during the month of September.

30D, 300/4L + 1.4x, ISO400, f/8, 1/1600th, HH, +1/3EC

Randy Stout
10-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Akos:

Always fun to capture a new one. Nice exposure, head angle. The IQ has suffered a bit from your crop as you noted, and I wish the far wing displayed a bit better.
Look forward to your efforts from the hide. Good luck!

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Nice bird and it looks as if sharpening the bird alone would improve it despite the large crop. Great view of the near underwing but the far wing position is unfortunate.

Van Hilliard
10-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I too would try to sharpen the body (especially) of the bird a bit. The eye appears sharp and is in approximately the same plane so you should be able to do it. Likewise, the bill would benefit from sharpening comparable to that of the eye. With regard to the wing position, the near wing is nice, with good detail. I agree with Artie and Randy regarding the far wing but I think the photo is worthwhile despite that. Good effort at capturing this shy bird.

Aidan Briggs
10-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Good to see you posting Akos!! Nice pose and exposure. As noted it is a bit soft from the large crop. Maybe just a tad more sharpening for web presentation.

Looking forward to more!!

Mark Young
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Nice composition and light. Looking forward to seeing the results of your hide. A white-morph Grey Goshawk was reported in the area a few days ago. Now that would make for an awesome image.

Gerald Kelberg
10-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi Akos,

So, I am not alone having difficulty getting close to these beauties! I have a number of "best yet" shots that only stay on file while I can't get a good one:confused:

I'm curious about the naming as I find it easy to confuse the Marsh Harrier (Circus aeroginosis) with the Hen Harrier (Circus cyaneus). To me this looks more like a female Hen Harrier than a male Marsh Harrier - marking on the wingtips and the coloration of the head. Could be wrong! The other half in each of these varieties is really different, so we will need images of the mate to be sure!:)

Best wishes!

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks for looking and the constructive feedback.
Gerald, you must be talking Euro birds; :) This, however, is an Australian species and it is called Circus approximans in scientific circles. I gather this is the male from his behavior while I was watching the courtship displays as it is the male (this light one) that was dive bombing his mate over the swamp and that is what I read he does and she turned upside down with talons extended in a mock strike-back! It was the most incredible BOP behavior I have seen to date :)