PDA

View Full Version : Show Off

Roman Kurywczak
03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Another of the Yellowstone elk as my scanner is still down :(. Want opinions on BG grass especially. Very slight crop top and back. Digital Rebel and the Sigma 300-800mm @ 572mm at ISO 200 and 1/80 sec. at f5.6.
Comments welcomed and appreciated,
Roman

Small Group Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Steve Maxson
03-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Nice light and sharpness (but do I see a halo around his nose?). I'm OK with the grasses - just mildly curious why the narrow brown strip. I know by now that you like tight crops, but I'd like to see more room on the top so he would have room for his antlers when he's finished bugling. The catchlight seems too large here - maybe a result of resizing and sharpening? The appeal of this photo would improve dramatically if he had turned his head slightly toward you. :)

Alfred Forns
03-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Would like more room at the bottom also The virtual feel are very close to the edge of the frame I think you need to give them some room in the frame A rule of thumb would be not more that 75% of the frame

The darker strip would like seeing move a bit Its starting out at the animals butt Maybe shooting from a lower angle? Looking at it again it might mess up the head with same problem !!

D. Robert Franz
03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
I like the pose and the detail in the image. A bit tight as mentioned above. The dark grass just happens to intersectt the dark head which is a bit of a problem. Another thing I look for with elk and deer is I try not to get the legs perfectly aligned it makes them seem top heavy or something... I think a lower angle would have helped as well.

Robert Amoruso
03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I love the BG grasses. Nice shades of brown and layered into the BG. Oh, the elk is pretty good too. :) Comments on elk placement sound.

Grady Weed
03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I do not have the eyes of those above, so to me this is a very nice image. I just wish I could have been there to share it with you. Thanks for posting this one.