PDA

View Full Version : corner composition

Jay Sheinfield
10-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Cropped to corner comp. Small glow for light balance and softening, green filter for subduing colors.
Cloned some water drops on leaves.

Nikon D3s
ISO 200
.8 sec @f/21
85mm micro with tube
tripod mounted with macro rail.

Please comment..................

Rene Quenneville
10-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Very strong composition. The corner comp here is very powerful. I love the soft tones and the appropriate sharpness used (not too much).
The waterdrops inside the lower right pedal could be removed.

Ken Childs
10-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Jay, I'm not a big fan of corner comps but I do like this one. :) There are a couple of things, IMO, that could be done to make this image even stronger. If you have the canvas, I'd like to see the rest of the petal that's been cutoff in the UL. I'd also like to see the shadows in the flower center lightened just a bit and a slight overall contrast boost might help add a bit more pop. Nicely done!

Steve Maxson
10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Jay. I tend to like corner comps though the spot where all those petal tips are pointing might be a little too much into the corner for my taste. :) Like Ken, my brain wants to see the tip of that petal in the URC (or else, maybe a tighter crop - it's the cut don't clip philosophy). I'm thinking that you wanted this comp to draw our attention into the LLC, but because that corner is relatively dark, my eye is drawn to the brighter top of the frame instead. Maybe brightening the LLC would help. Just my 2 cents worth and I expect there will be a variety of opinions on this one. :)

Dave Leroy
10-18-2010, 06:40 PM
I really like the nice translucent feeling of this one.

The colours and the water drop also add a lot.

I also like the good ideas given of a bit lighter in the dark areas and a tad more pop.

Good idea.

Dave

Jay Sheinfield
10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone.................will post first crop attempt, before the OP crop..............let me know what you think.

Ken Childs
10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Jay, I now know why you cropped where you did. Because of the strong outline on these petals, that area above the petal tip is distracting. Maybe Steve's suggestion of a tighter crop would be the way to go. :)

Mike Moats
10-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey Jay, I like the corner comp. I would lighten the area in the LLC and crop some off the top.

Jay Sheinfield
10-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks Mike..................I will try your suggestions.

Ken and Steve, Thanks again.