subhrashis
10-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Can't go out much these days as exams start in a week or two.... :(
This is one from our last walks...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5088507087_5e838f5d1a_z.jpg

D5000 70-300 VR, 1/125 @ f/5.6, Crop.

Dave Leroy
10-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I like the composition. Very nice use of a diagonal line and even though the Swift is not square to sensor it seems to work for me.

Focus looks a bit behind the eye.

I also always wonder if the subject has an unpleasant colour cast when surrounded by a predominant colour like green in this one.

I also like how the leave stops just before it leaves the frame in LRC.

Good Luck on the exams.

subhrashis
10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Dave!

There is indeed a yellow/magenta cast, I missed it. I will upload the corrected version tomorrow.

The focus was on the thorax. I need more practice with manual focusing, it is difficult to judge plane of focus exactly with the low magnification of the 70 300. Hopefully it will also be easier once I get an achromat to increase the magnification of my 70 300. The focus problem could also have been solved with getting square to it as you suggested... this time a bush prevented me from going to left. I'll surely try next time :)

Dawn Currie
10-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I like the unusual point of view. The line of the leaf and swift provide a nice echo effect. The way my eye travels with this composition makes me think he's saying "Follow me!" I've found that with nature photography, I make sure I capture the subject before moving to a better, more advantageous point of view - that way I've got him if he decides to dart away while I'm trying to get the light and composition right

Jay Sheinfield
10-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Nice DOF to focus in on just the bug. Great BG and nice overall color. My only wish is that the swift were facing the viewer rather than away. Perhaps a couple steps to the left might have given you an even more engaging perspective.

Steve Maxson
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Nice sharpness on the skipper and I like the shallow DOF elsewhere. The leaf is at a pleasing diagonal and you have a clean background. The color cast has been mentioned - to my eye it looks like a greenish cast (but I wasn't there to see this in the field) :) While the image is interesting as presented, I'm in agreement with Jay that it would have even more impact if the skipper was facing slightly toward us rather than slightly away.

subhrashis
10-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks Dawn, Jay and Steve! Yes, the next time I see him, I'll try for a view from the front. Here I could not go left any more, as part of this bush he's on was blocking my way, and moving it may have scared him off.

The color corrected version :
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5092309511_ba82b8a962_z.jpg

Ken Childs
10-18-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree with the previous comments so there isn't much I can add other than maybe the BG could use some NR.

Is subhrashis your first name, last name or both? I'd like to know so I can address you correctly. :)

subhrashis
10-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks Ken!
Yes, there is some noise... ISO 640 + Darkish bg + crop is not a good combination for clean images... :( This was handheld, so couldn't go slower.

Subhrashis is my first name. You can also call me Subbu :)

Ken Childs
10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Subhrashis is my first name. You can also call me Subbu :)
Thanks for the clarification, Subbu. :)