PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Bug

WIlliam Maroldo
10-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Sony A850~ Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro~Sony HVL-F58AM~ISO 1250~1/640 sec~F10~HH~manual exposure~10-16-2010~Houston Arboretum~CS5

Since the Sony A850 does not have a built in flash, and the importance of a flash, or 2 of them, in macro has been pointed out by Ken and Steve, I purchased one today. This image is one of the first with the flash using the built in diffuser.
I think it is an assassin bug, but I am not positive.
comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

my website (http://avianimagesource.com)

Dave Leroy
10-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I like the nice top down look at the bug.

And the little I know about it, it looks like a really good use of the flash. Nice catch lights in the eyes as well.

If mine I might try to tone down the whites foliage a bit. I also like Ken's previous suggestion of just stopping that top leg before it leaves the frame.

Sharp HH photos are always impressive.

Ken Childs
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey William, now you're cookin'! This looks much better. There are a few bright spots that were caused by flash on a shiny bug but those are easily removed by the clone tool. The BG is a bit busy but I know this is a shot I would have taken. Dave's point about the leg is a good one. Since just the tip of the foot is cutoff, you could clone away the very end and I don't think anyone would notice and then it wouldn't appear that anything had been cutoff at all.

I can't say for sure if this is or isn't an Assassin. Since it appears to be nectaring, I would have said it isn't but Patrick's second shot of the Ambush Bug makes that one look like it was nectaring and it's definitely a bug eater. :confused:

Jay Sheinfield
10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi William,

Cool bug ! Is that another pair of eyes on top of his head?

Just adding to Ken's comments, a low opacity brush sampling the darker green in the BG could remove the OOF grass stalks in the ULC 10:00 and perhaps darken the one @11:00. I think would go along busying down the BG. Good find.

Steve Maxson
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi Bill. The light is much better looking in this image - now you just need to practice and refine your technique. I don't know for sure whether this is an assassin bug, but like Ken, I'm suspicious that it seems to be nectaring - so it might be one of the plant bugs instead. In any case, it does have some interesting markings. (You might want to check on BugGuide.net to see if they can ID it for you.) There are some good suggestions already offered for you to consider. The leg touching the frame edge is catching my eye - I might suggest cropping about 1 inch off the top (as the image appears on my monitor) - it's the cut don't clip philosophy. :) This would also serve to focus more attention on the bug vs the white flowers. I would be tempted to tone down some of the whites just a bit. Well done.

Ed Grella
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
William, You may also want to experiment with your flash's exposure compensation. With my combo, -1.7 gives me nice fill light without over powering the subject.