PDA

View Full Version : I thought I had seen it all?

Patrick Sparkman
10-16-2010, 10:02 PM
We had calm winds, so I grabbed my 65 MP-E, and walked down the street looking for bugs and found this guy. I love insects, but this is one of the most strange I have ever seen. It is about 1/4" total in length. It has big forearms like a mantis, but was sucking nectar like a bee. I love how the antenna fold into a recess on the side of his head.

Does anyone know the species? And as always, let me know what you think and how the image could be improved.

Canon 1D IV, 65 MP-E, MR-14 with diffuser, ISO 200, f16, 1/300 sec, manual flash, handheld

Jaime Johnson
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Nice - I've never seen anything like this guy!

pat lillich
10-17-2010, 07:58 AM
hey, wow! does he have a long tongue to suck nectar with? look forward to hearing what he is!

Ken Childs
10-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey Patrick, your bug is an Ambush Bug. They're predators so I doubt if it was nectaring. If there was moisture, maybe it was drinking. This is a very good environmental shot that shows just how great their camouflage is.
The yellows below the bug look a bit hot so see if you can tone them down just a bit. I was debating with myself about the dark areas in the BG but I think the "leave them as is" side of my brain won. :)

Patrick Sparkman
10-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Here is a picture that shows the proboscis. It is long, and the bug was probing every flower with it. Thanks for info on the Ambush Bug. That is definitely the species. I guess this one had a sweet tooth:). Also, good input on toning down the yellows. I did HSL selectively, and reduced luminance in the yellows and the picture looks better.

Steve Maxson
10-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Patrick and welcome to Macro. It's good to see another MP-E user! Nice detail within your DOF on the OP and I agree about the yellows. It's very interesting to me that you observed this guy probing the flowers with that large proboscis since it is normally used to probe the bodies of other insects instead. :) I hope to see more of your work here.

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey Patrick,
Looks prehistoric! Great advice above and Steve is a great resource for you on the lens as he is the master with it!

Arthur Morris
10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I love the view in Pane 1; it looks like somebody's pet! I would however, liked to have seen you point the lens a bit to the right as the rear is close to the frame edge and you have lots of room in front.