PDA

View Full Version : Maine Lighthouse1

Rene Quenneville
10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Took this picture in mid-morning sun this summer. I think I had a polarizer. This is a 3 frames HDR (Handheld, tourist type!!). I did clone the fence in Photoshop.

Is the comp ok? Is there too much sky? PLease let me know.

Nikon D200 with Nikkor 18-200mm @ 43mm
Iso 400
f/11
1/320 s, 1/640 s, 1/1250 s

Judy Howle
10-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I think it's a nicely-processed HDR although the light was a bit bright for the white building. I like the comp as is.

Paul Lagasi
10-17-2010, 05:56 AM
J'aime bien..very nice touristy image :)....the diagonal works for me, the sky isn't too much, nice detail in the HDR...TFS

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Rene,

A classic view of this lighthouse (have been there myself). Comp works well with its placement between the trees. Sky is as much as it needs to be. Good details in the rocks thanks to the HDR. I would process the whites to a lower level as they draw the eye too much know. As I can see detail, try Shadow/Highlight in PS, or selecting the whites on a BG copy and changing blending to multiply.

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice composition! Agree that the whites in the lighthouse are a little to bright. Robert's suggestions should help you bring back some detail in the whites.

Dave Mills
10-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Rene, Nice,tight comp of a classic lighthouse. Been there a few times myself. Agree with Robert regarding the whites. You handled the HDR well...

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey Rene,
Besides the whites....you processed this nicely. As usual.....the mid day light isn't optimal....but you handled it well overall.

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Rene, great capture, the above suggestions, cover it well.. congrats on a great image!
Don

Nick Palmieri
10-18-2010, 07:50 AM
All covered above...That thing lined up pretty well for a hand held HDR! Is this Owl's head Light?

Michael Lloyd
10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
I like it. The whites have been covered. The foreground rocks seem soft? muddy? I don't know. Something doesn't look quite right.

You might give this a try.

If they aren't already make Channels visible.
Command click on the RGB channel. You should get some marching ants.
Option click on the Yin / Yang symbol and while holding the option key down click on curves.
Grab the curve about the midpoint and slowly drag it down. The whites should tone down and the foreground should see a boost in contrast.

I wish I could post the Midtone Contrast action that I got from Mac Holbert (he approved disseminating it as long as he received credit). It's a nice way to finish off an image. The effect is subtle but effective.