PDA

View Full Version : Pelicans

Maureen Allen
10-16-2010, 04:18 PM
This young brown pelican had just caught the discarded fish from a gentleman cleaning his fish at the boat dock.

Nikon D300
70-200mm f/2.8 @ 100mm
f/8
1/1000
ISO 400

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

John Chardine
10-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi Maureen- The image is beautifully sharp and you've got some great action going on here. I like the older bird eyeing up the situation from behind. Head angles are good on both birds which is often not the case! The main thing that jumps out at me is your high camera angle, but I know is some situations it is just impossible to get lower. I wonder if there's some detail in the dark eye of the young one that you may be able to coax out with some dodging?

Julie Kenward
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Maureen, there is some great action and detail here! I wish there was a little more room at the bottom of the frame as it feels like his feet might be "cut off" in the lower edge of the frame. I love the action of the fish half in/half out and the turn on the heads is very nice. You've got some deep shadows and some pretty harsh light but I think you managed it as best you could. Did you try any with fill flash?

Maureen Allen
10-17-2010, 08:24 PM
John and Julie - Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I didn't have my flash with me so fill flash wasn't an option. But the pelicans are very close by and the fishermen are out there every day, so I'll have other opportunities to practice. Next time I'll go earlier and see if I can get some better light and if I can get a bit lower (laying down on the dock is likely to be unpopular, however.)

Thanks again for all your help.