PDA

View Full Version : Turnstone on a wet and windy day

Austin Thomas
10-16-2010, 12:42 PM
This image was taken in Norway on a pretty miserable day weather wise. In flight images were a non starter so I tried to record some static subjects and allow the weather conditions to add an extra element to the picture.

It might be too big in the frame and I'd appreciate your feedback on that point and C&C in general.

Canon 1DMK4, 500mm , 1.4x, f6.3, 1/800, ISO800.

Cheers

Austin

Randy Stout
10-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Austin:

I think the size in frame is fine. I like the sand storm like effect around the feet and legs, sharpness, exposure, composition.
Were you shooting through vegetation or some other obstruction at the bottom of the frame?

Cheers

Randy

Pieter de Waal
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Love the look of this image , great background sets the mood with good light , exposure and good defenition in the colours.

Bill Dix
10-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Comp looks good to me. Sharp and well exposed. Whatever caused it, the misty effect at the bottom gives this a special atmospheric look; not just your average Ruddy Turnstone image.

Jonathan Ashton
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Beautiful detail and exposure, I like the setting. Regards the size in the frame i tend to agree with you - just a little large but not very much so.

Martin Wallis
10-16-2010, 07:06 PM
I love the setting of this image, am really interested to know how you got the misty look at the bottom.

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I like everything about this. Going a bit brighter might work well. Was the misty look from a sand ridge between you and the bird's feet?

It gives me great pleasure to see the members above actively involved in critiiquing and commenting here. Way to go Pieter, Bill, Jon, and Martin:)

Troy Lim
10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Austin,

I love the OOF feel in the foreground. It is nice and sharp. Agree on a bit brighter. TFS.

Austin Thomas
10-17-2010, 03:37 AM
Good morning all and thanks or your feedback. Much appreciated.

Ref. OOF foreground.

I was lying on a large slab of rock that was sloping upwards slightly, towards the sky and also towards the subject. The OOF foreground will be the edge of the stone slab running across the bottom section of the field of view. I recall being on my elbows to gain as much height as possible and on checking the screen I thought it had something different to keep. I could have crawled closer ( and higher ) but my own critique was this was already at max. subject size in the frame and for a Turnstone I wasn't going to change the lens combination. I had other targets to my left that were the real reason for my being where I was.

Thanks again.

Austin

Randy Stout
10-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Austin:

Thanks for the info on the foreground haze. I think it worked out wonderfully, and fits perfectly with the overall feel of the image.
re: brightness if image. Well, I think that works well with the 'sandstorm' look you have, and like it as posted.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
10-17-2010, 10:05 AM
This capture has a dream-like quality about it. Congrats on making such a lovely image under such difficult conditions.

Stu Bowie
10-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Austen, the turnstone looks fine in the frame as is, and I like the angle of pose. Good detail and colours, and the overcast conditions have worked in your favour.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Congrats. for this fantastic capture ... simply perfect.