PDA

View Full Version : White-fronted Bee-eater

Gerrie van Vuuren
10-16-2010, 11:13 AM
DOF a bit shallow on this one with wingtips OOF. Will keep it till I get a better one.;)

1D MKIV
600mm f/4
f/6.3
ss 1/3200
ISO 1600

Gary Hamilton
10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Definitely sharp at the business end of this bee-eater, and that's good enough for me on this one. Not every shot needs to be razor sharp from front to back in order to please. The lighting looks really sweet plus a beautiful BKGD. Cheers.

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Love the dragonfly, the clearly seen eye, and the blue rump patch. Killer pose and nice enough BKGR. For some reason the BKGR looks a bit blotchy.

Randy Stout
10-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Gerrie:

Lovely colors, dragon fly, sharp on the eye.
The thing that strikes me though is the large amount of noise in the plumage.
Was this image underexposed and brought up in post? I would have expected less noise from a MkIV if exposed well to the right.

There is also something odd going on at the root of the of the flight feathers on the top wing. Almost like a ghost image. Perhaps a side effect of the noise as well.

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
10-16-2010, 02:57 PM
For me the OOF wing tips imply motion here, so I am OK with that. The fine deatils seem a bit coarse - perhaps suggesting a heavy-ish crop, and there seems to have been some sort of masking around the subject. In any event impressive image, nice colours (I like the touch of blue at the rump)

Troy Lim
10-16-2010, 09:11 PM
I wonder if the original shot was underexposed to begin with? Mark IV @ 1600 ISO seems to have a lot of noise in this shot.

Stu Bowie
10-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I like the flight angle Gerrie, with good wingspread. These guys certainly didnt go hungry that day. Every image I have, each BE has prey in their beak.

Jim Fenton
10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Killer pose, great dragon fly but the image confuses me.

I understand that 6.3 didn't give a great DOF, especially if you were close. It almost looks as though NR or a blur was run on the background and carried into the edges of the bird...yet the edges of the wings in places look a bit too sharp or stark along the edges?