PDA

View Full Version : Wolf - Captive

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2010, 08:56 AM
This was taken at the Wolf Conservation Center about an hour outside of NYC when I had just gotten my 50D for practice with the camera. You can only shoot from platforms and small camera openings in the fence so getting better angles is sometimes tough.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 310mm
1/500
f7.1
ISO 1000
HH, twig that intersected nose removed in PS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-16-2010, 09:39 AM
I really like this Rachel, nice expression and the Autumnal BG sets the colouring of the Wolf off nicely. I was going to suggest you might try to open the detail up in the eye and nose area, but looking at it on another monitor it looks OK (?). As I said, do like the contrast between the two (Wolf/BG), however the highlight near the bottom jaw is a slight distraction. You can tone it down, just depends on you PS skills if you want to ;)

Nice one. :cheers::cheers:

TFS
Steve

Gary Hamilton
10-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Beautiful coat coming in on this one. Agree a little more detail could be brought out on the snout. I understand the limitations of shooting thru such fence openings, though, and you can't always get what you want (hey, I think there's a hit song in there---nahhh!--lol). I always enjoy seeing your posts. Cheers

Marina Scarr
10-16-2010, 12:56 PM
You did a great job with this capture considering your limitations. I have taken the liberty to repost. I took a tad off the top...just enough to remove the BG from over the wolf's left ear, and a little off the left. I lightened the entire eye socket, and I gave it ajust a tad more more sharpening.

You did a great job capturing the details and there is a gentleness about this particular picture that I really like.

Marina

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I had lightened the eye on the op but did not go further because I do not like the reflection in the eye that becomes more pronounced when the eye is lightened.

Marina - your slight crop (I hadn't even noticed the area above the ear) and the additional sharpening looks good.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
10-17-2010, 03:01 AM
What a handsome wolf, you've done well with this Rachel as I do feel that I could reach out and stroke him. Love the background colours and I agree with Marina about the almost gentle nature of the picture.

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks Hilary

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Rachel,

There is nice detail in the salt-and-pepper hair and eyes and Marina's repost really helps to bring it out. You captured a good "feel" for the animal in its expression.

pat lillich
10-17-2010, 04:40 PM
lovely wolf - wonderful sweet expression and fur detail - like the crop and extra sharpening. he(she) has beautiful eyes....

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks Robert and Pat. Pat - this is the alpha female of 4 wolves the WCC had at the time. Sadly the alpha and beta males have both died from cancer since my visit in 2009.

Rachel

denise ippolito
10-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Very nice image Rachel, Marinas repost look good. The wolf has a trusting look in it's expression.

Rachel Hollander
10-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks Denise.

Steve Canuel
10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Love the colors of this wolf. BG compliments him well.

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks Steve.

Harshad Barve
10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
lovely image with nice details
TFS