PDA

View Full Version : My New Baby ( Bc Mrs J C Hirst ) Hybrid Orchid...

Charles Wesley
10-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Just had another orchid from my collection bloom the other day. It's a Brassavola Cattleya hybrid bought from a friend and grower who's also a member of our local orchid society.

Here's an image from today. Had to try an in your face approach this time. Decided to back up some on this one on my last photo in the series.

Canon 5D Mk ll
Sigma 180 mm. f/ 3.5 APO HSM DG macro
Bogen tripod

5 sec. @ f/ 25.0
400 ISO

Canon D.P.P.
PS/ CS 4
SS

Ken Childs
10-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Charles, your new baby is certainly beautiful! This is really nice as is but I think I'd like to see it with the leaf on the left removed and then a large amount cropped from the left. Also bringing up the upper areas of the flower's center might improve this.
A few tweaks should make this already beautiful flower really shine! :cheers:

Jay Sheinfield
10-16-2010, 02:41 PM
I agree with Ken on cloning out the left leaf and crop. This is a beauty................the black BG really pops it! and the curved leaf adds a lot of interest.

Steve Maxson
10-16-2010, 04:17 PM
A beautiful flower well photographed, Charles. I like the soft light along with the overall sharpness. The black background is very effective here. My only minor concern is that the flower is centered in the frame - Ken and Jay have given you a cropping suggestion to consider which I think would make for a better comp. Well done.

Charles Wesley
10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Steve, Jay & Ken,

Thanks so much for the composition advise. We're hosting a wine tasting tonight. Love my reds with gourmet Italian. Will repost with your suggestion tomorrow morning. Can't wait. Hope my head doesn't hurt too bad...

Charles Wesley
10-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Steve, Jay & Ken,

Here's by improved image. Still is a little centered. Let me know what you think...

Ken Childs
10-17-2010, 10:08 AM
That definitely looks much better but I was thinking of an even bigger crop, maybe something like this. I also took a small slice off the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Hey Charles,
Wow.....what a beauty!!! Ken's crop is the way I would go and makes this one absolutely shine! Great job all around!!! Remiind me to get to one of those receptions.....as long as I can sneak in a beer or 2:D!

Charles Wesley
10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Roman & Ken,

Thanks for the help. I tend to shoot loser than others. Need to try difference crops on my florals. We went through 30 plus different wines. Some of the men bring beer so you would get along well with this crowd...

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Sounds like my kind of party......and who knows....love gourmet Italian too so I might even give a glass of red a go!

Charles Wesley
10-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Roman,

Your awesome...

Anita Bower
10-23-2010, 06:26 AM
What a beauty! Wow! Love the simplicity of this image. The black BG is perfect for setting off the gorgeous colors and simple lines.

I would try a slight curves or some such adjustment to bring a bit more light into center.

Re. crop--I have a couple of thoughts. I understand why others want the curved leaf eliminated, but, I think it works with the leaf, especially if one crops a bit off the right of the image. The curved leaf might draw the eye away from the flower, but it also adds tension. If eliminating the leaf is the way you want to go, I would add some black canvas to the right of your final crop. Although I generally like very tight crops, I think Ken cropped off too much, especially from the bottom.

I hope you keep these beauties coming. I find photographing Orchids challenging, and you do such a great job.