PDA

View Full Version : Another Grasshopper

WIlliam Maroldo
10-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Sony A850~ Sony 100mm F2.8 macro~ISO 1600~1/125sec~F14~HH~natural light~10-13-2010~Houston Arboretum~CS5
Appeciate the pointers Ken, Steve, Roman! Still having to deal with harsh light; three weeks and I saw clouds briefly one day!
comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

Ken Childs
10-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Hey Bill, this is a cool pose and you've got some great colors in the BG! I would try to even out that BG by lightly cloning or painting over the dark areas. Not a big deal but there's a tiny black spot in the light area to the right of the right antenna that needs to be cloned away. Using NR or adding some blur to the BG might also help.

As a wise Jedi photographer once said, "Use the flash, Bill". :D When you're forced to shoot in harsh lighting conditions, you need to find a way to tame that light and providing most of that light yourself is one way to do it. Bounce cards or flash-mounted softboxes can be used to soften the flash. Experiment to find what works best for you. I use a bunch of homemade gizmos and gadgets that work fine for this purpose.

Steve Maxson
10-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Bill. You keep improving! I like the head-on from underneath perspective and good job getting the front legs, head, and antennae all sharp. Also, nice IQ for ISO 1600. Ken has some good suggestions about the background and lighting for you to consider. The only thing I would add is that I'd like to see just a little more room at the top where the antenna is almost touching the frame.

WIlliam Maroldo
10-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks Ken and Steve. I've been shooting a Sony A850 that has a full frame sensor (24MP) but no on board flash. Decent, but not stellar at higher ISOs. I purchased an external flash this afternoon (since my last one was not nearly as moisture-proof as the camera or lens I was using in some light rain). Just got back from testing the flash, and I can't post any results til tomorrow, but needless to say it indeed makes a hugh difference. regards~Bill

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey Bill,
Great advice given above on the flash (I love mine!). I like the perspective but do want to offer a different view on the antenna.....go ahead and crop just below the dark green BG blotch! You can view it w/ a browser crop......similar to crop don't clip in the avian forum.....and IMO an often times bigger problem with insects and long antenna.....this gives us enough info that the antenna are there yet eliminates much of the negative space created when shooting at this angle. For me.....it makes a stronger image. Just another idea for you to explore!