PDA

View Full Version : Rudy turnstone, camouflaged!

Charles Daigle
10-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Olympus E3
Zuiko Digital 150/2
ISO200
1/1000
F2.8
+0.3eV

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4105/4962280613_3e4d47616f_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckdphoto/4962280613/)

Thanks for looking

Geoff Warnock
10-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Hi Charles, nice image. Technical details on the bird look perfect, but I find him a little low in the frame. Perhaps you can try a slightly different crop. With the DOF you have he stands out well from the background despite camoflage, if you could get lower it might have been even better still.

Bob Decker
10-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Hi Charles. Exposure and processing looks good in this one. There's some nice feather detail, even in the whites. POV is not the best, as Geoff pointed out. The difference between the "Pros" and the "Joes" is often the fact that the professional photographer will do all s/he can to get at eye-level with the subject: Stand in waist deep wather; belly crawl in wet sand; lay down in mud; pretty much whatever it takes. It's a nice image and shows a nice level of technical skill and ability. Now it's time to think about getting down and dirty (pun intended) to take it to the next level.

Julie Kenward
10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Good advice from Bob and Geoff, Charles. I would definitely go with more of a pano crop here because the BG really doesn't add enough interest to take up 2/3 of the image IMO. You might also try toning down the white specs a bit as well. If you do decide to keep this as a full crop then I'd darken the BG and try to bring up the shadow below the bird so there's more brightness up front and less in the BG, keeping the viewer's eye on the bird.

Nice HA and pose BTW!

Charles Daigle
10-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Geoff, this is a significant crop (short lens), so I have plenty of room to play with the crop. I'll see what I can work out!

Bob, you don't have to worry about me being clean. I was on vacation in this shot, and I got face down in the sand and seaweed. Let's just say that my girlfriend wasn't happy that I ruined my nice shirt I had put on just for dinner :D

Julie, I'll try some to change up the crop a little on this one. Turnstones are not very common in my parts, so I'd like to keep it if I can!

John Chardine
10-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I like this image Charles. I love the colour of the light and the overall warmth. It would have been optimal if you had had the sun behind you rather than to your left. For my tastes I would like to see the bird with a little head turn CW- not much. I'd tone down that light thingy on the right. Nicely done!