Ian Cassell
10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Canon 30D
Canon 100-300mm f/4 @ 100mm
1/320 sec f/4 ISO 100 HH
Small crop, S/H, sharpening in CS5

Dave Mills
10-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Hi Ian, interesting image. I had to study it awhile to see the flow and where it dropped. The image emits barrenness and foreboding. The heavy cloud cover on top becomes a nice frame. I also like the fact you have detail in most areas of the image.
IMO the lit cloud band to the rt of the peak is just a bit bright. If this were mine I might tone it down just a small amount...

Rene Quenneville
10-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Great landscape Ian. It must be breath taking to be out there!

On my monitor, the bottom left of the image seems to lack a little contrast. I agree with Dave's comments.

Ian Cassell
10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Dave and Rene. Suggestions appreciated and I will play with them a bit. Yes, breathtaking is an understatement. This image lacks something to give one the perspective of scale -- this is huge. Although my trip through Denali was beautiful sunny weather, my trip through the inland passage was cloudy with some rain. It actually made for some very interesting skies. I would recommend Alaska to anyone.

Judy Howle
10-16-2010, 09:34 PM
That is an interesting image and the overcast sky makes it more foreboding. I like the blue and white tones. I'm sure it doesn't capture the immenseness that seeing it in person does.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Ian,

Though the FG water has some nice patterns in them, the glacier is the center of interest so I feel cropping more from the bottom into a pano will strengthen the viewer's impression of its immensity.

I agree with Dave on the bright white cloud. Tune it down to maintain the brooding affect you capture so nicely.

Andrew McLachlan
10-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Hi Ian,

Nice capture. I like how you were able to capture this barren landscape. Agree with the comments to crop a bit off the bottom and darken the brightest clouds.

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey Ian,
Excellent recommendations above. I have been there a few times myself so I know how it can get! If you had different light.....that ice positively glows!!! I think you did the best you could given the lighting.

Nick Palmieri
10-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Beautiful landscape. Nice job with the hand holding. I realize using split ND filters on handholds may be difficult but I keep a screw-on split ND for just these situations, it would have really made that sky pop. I really like the lines from the FG across the water which then appears to pull you up through the mountains.