PDA

View Full Version : Fall Road In Algonquin

Ed Cordes
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
This is an image from our trip to Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario Canada. The colors were fantastic. Many of the park roads are unpaved but none the less offer easy access. I love the way the trees and leaves created this semi tunnel effect.

1D4 with 17-40 @ 40. Evaluative metering at ISO 100 with EV + 1/3 and F 11 and 1/5 sec. Full frame. The trees were leaning in over the road the effect is not lens distortion.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome

Rene Quenneville
10-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Great colors Ed. It seems to be a great location.

The sky is unfortunately a little flat. Didi you try another angle in order to minimize the sky?

Ed Cordes
10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the comment Rene. Yes the sky was very overcast and it was raining. This is a minimal as I could get the sky and still show the curve of the trees and road that I really wanted. I appreciate your input.

Andrew McLachlan
10-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Beautiful colors Ed. I know this road well. I wonder if you could have eliminated the sky by laying down on the road for the shot, however, I don't find the sky to be too much of a distraction.

Dave Mills
10-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi Ed, beautiful color and I like the fact you offset the road. Agree with Andrew regarding the sky but another idea would be to crop this into a pano. I feel it presents well that way also...

Judy Howle
10-16-2010, 09:44 PM
The colors and composition look great to me. I've been looking for a nice composition like that of trees over a road and have yet to find one but we rarely have that much color in the deep South, it tends to be spotty. The little bit of sky showing doesn't bother me.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Ed,

Offsetting the road is a good move and works. However, this image will also work with the road right in the center and symmetry of trees left and right. That would be my preferred interpretation. Your viewer expects to see sky so that is OK. I think that since you had the overcast and the rain, you created it with a lower tonality in the sky plus great saturation of the colors.

Ed Cordes
10-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks again for all the comments. Robert, I did think about centering the road. However the curve at the far end was an interesting feature which I wanted to utilise. So, while being centered would be traditional I thought the right to left flow was emphasised by the curve at the end. I am interested in your opinion as to the success of this. Does your eye follow the road as if you were driving, and thus the end curve important; or does your eye just see a road surrounded by trees?

Thanks for any input.

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Ed,
I like this as presented but also feel if you stood on one of the sides of the path and included more of the path that it also could have been interesting. I agree with Robert that thesky is OK with me because it is minimal and the comp does work as presented. Nice job overall.