PDA

View Full Version : Smiling Moose From Algonquin

Ed Cordes
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
This moose from Algonquin Provincial Park made a nice reflection as he ate the water lilies. He was "smiling" at his reflection.

1D4 with 100-400 @ 180. Evaluative metering at ISO 800 F5 and 1/400 with EV + 2/3, hand held. Cropped from Horizontal.

Thanks for looking C&C most welcome

Andrew McLachlan
10-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi Ed,

Very nice moose capture. Wonder if you should tone down the bright water around the moose a little though. Where in the park did you capture this one. I have absolutely terrible luck with moose in Algonquin and I am only a 2 hour drive from the park.

Ken Watkins
10-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Very nice animal, with good composition.

I agree on trying to tone down the highlights if possible.

Marina Scarr
10-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Like the composition here. Especially like the reflection of the antlers. Agree on toning down the water a bit b/c it jumps out at you and detracts somewhat from your subject.

Ed Cordes
10-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the comments. I agree the bright water is a problem. I will have to tone it down.

Andrew, we were pretty consistant in finding moose at the Opeongo turn off near the East Gate. Often times there was a young bull, a cow and a calf down in the flats off the road on the South side of RT 60 at the Opeongo turnoff. This image and some I wil post later were made at the "culvert" about 1/2 way down the Opeongo road pst the Costello Lake picnic area and past the old logging road. A group of us would wait there early in the AM. some times it was a long non productive wait, but some times the wait paid off. Since you are so close I'll bet you can still get some action there.

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Ed - I agree about the highlights but really like the comp and the head up view of the moose.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Like the rest of the gang I like the REFL but not the bright water. There are lots of ways to try and tone it down. Among others you might try adding BLACK to the WHITEs in Selective Color. (It would not hurt to take some BLUE out of the water as well.)

Based on the eyes, this look as if it needs considerable CW rotation.

Steve Canuel
10-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I like the head on view, especially the antlers, and the reflection in the green water (I think there could be nice abstract image in the reflection, cropped at the first wave, then flipped over). Looking at the grasses in the BG the image seems level. The eyes are not but it looks like his right shoulder is dipping a bit deeper than his left in the muddy bottom.

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Though I am no expert on mammals it would seem that when an animal is looking at you the eyes would be (should be) square to the world, i.e., level :)

Steve Canuel
10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
After looking at it more closely and using the dripping water from the mouth as a reference, I would agree that it could be slightly rotated.

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Interesting reflection. I would agree with the suggestions on the highlights.

DanWalters
10-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Great reflection and I like the water coming out of the mouth. Agree about toning down the hot spots.

Andrew Aveley
10-18-2010, 06:37 AM
love this reflection and composition. Commenrs already made regarding rotation and highlights:D

Harshad Barve
10-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Lovely image and great discussions here

Though I am no expert on mammals

aha , I guess I have seen some of finest bear images from you and they are mammals I guess :)