PDA

View Full Version : Trumpeter Swan Head & Face Detail

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 03:24 PM
This bird was photographed in pre-dawn light with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2 stops: 1/200 sec. at f/5.6. 45 point AAFPS.

See the interesting Head Angle Fine Points thread in the ER on Page 4 here. (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?69803-Head-Angle-Fine-Points/page4) It starts in Pane #183.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

DeanNewman
10-15-2010, 03:30 PM
There's no "fudge" factor on exposure here. I'm admiring the detail in both blacks and whites. My compliments at getting so close. Here in MD, we can't get within a country mile of this species. Interesting +2 stops EC. I would have been nervous at blowing out the whites. I learned a lot on this image.

Ben_Sadd
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
A very nice image and the details are great. It contrasts with and complements your trumpeter in golden light very well. I would like to ask what your reasoning was behind using 45 point AAFFPS in this relatively static setting?

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
There's no "fudge" factor on exposure here. I'm admiring the detail in both blacks and whites. My compliments at getting so close. Here in MD, we can't get within a country mile of this species. Interesting +2 stops EC. I would have been nervous at blowing out the whites. I learned a lot on this image.

Thanks Dean. Adding lots of light with light subject, soft light, and soft BKGRs is the song I have been singing (in ABP II and DB) for a long time :) This guy was a staple along the Madison River and when he wanted to feed he would swim right up to folks so no compliments needed. Denise and I were backing up..... Learning is why we are here. Remember, different cameras, different stories. This will work for MIII, MIV, and 7D. Could have even gone a bit more plus.

Do check out the Head Angle Fine Points link above; you will learn even more :)

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Beautiful exposure and detail. I would appreciate your view on my observation that whilst I am very impressed with the exposure and detail I wonder if it would yield yet more detail if the Highlights or the curve was lowered just a tiny bit. I suspect you would have considered this and deliberately gone for the image as presented. Thanks for your consideration.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 03:51 PM
A very nice image and the details are great. It contrasts with and complements your trumpeter in golden light very well. I would like to ask what your reasoning was behind using 45 point AAFFPS in this relatively static setting?

Thanks Ben. Why do you say "static"?

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Beautiful exposure and detail. I would appreciate your view on my observation that whilst I am very impressed with the exposure and detail I wonder if it would yield yet more detail if the Highlights or the curve was lowered just a tiny bit. I suspect you would have considered this and deliberately gone for the image as presented. Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks Jon. You are talking very fine points. "A tiny bit" might simply be a matter of tilting your monitor a single degree. From where I am sitting--and I mean that literally as I just processed the image, it looked good to me and if anything I was worried that I went too light. See how much I lightened the blacks by checking out the linked thread above.

Ben_Sadd
10-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I say "relatively" static. I assume this bird was swimming, so perhaps I should be clearer and say relatively slow moving :).

I know you like the 45 point system for BIF, but was wondering if there was any particular reason you have chosen it over a single sensor in this case?

I am just hoping to learn something about your thought process.

Andrew Merwin
10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
"A tiny bit" might simply be a matter of tilting your monitor a single degree. From where I am sitting--and I mean that literally as I just processed the image, it looked good to me and if anything I was worried that I went too light.

You are sure right about tilting my monitor. I tilted my monitor & it dramatically changed the look of the image. An excellent image. Thanks for the lesson.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 05:07 PM
You are sure right about tilting my monitor. I tilted my monitor & it dramatically changed the look of the image. An excellent image. Thanks for the lesson.

Andrew, You can get a head start by making a habit of checking the calibration strip at the bottom of the page. You should be able to differentiate the subtle shades of the two lightest boxes and the two darkest boxes...

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi Ben,

re:

I say "relatively" static. I assume this bird was swimming, so perhaps I should be clearer and say relatively slow moving :).

Yes, swimming. Swimming is moving :)

I know you like the 45 point system for BIF

Not always.... That varies with the body and the camera.

but was wondering if there was any particular reason you have chosen it over a single sensor in this case?

I choose 45-point in very specific cases, this being one of them. Once I acquire focus with 45 point I find it relatively easy to move the bird back in the friend if need be. It works well for most horizontal head portraits and for vertical head and neck portraits of birds like herons and egrets.

I am just hoping to learn something about your thought process.

Did you? :)

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 05:20 PM
PS to Ben, This is an extracted JPEG. You would not want to try for this COMP with the central sensor....

Pieter de Waal
10-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Wow exposure could not be better - lots learnt here and thanks.:D Is the background water or sky ?

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 05:21 PM

Hey Jon, Rereading your comment I think that I misunderstood a bit.... You wanted it a bit darker for the highlights. I agree that that might have been a good option.

Ben_Sadd
10-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reasoning. I see the point :)

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 05:37 PM
YAW Ben. Pieter, the BKGR is water.

Layton E Parham
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
I prefer the Image with the darker background.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I like both; different strokes :)

Andrew Merwin
10-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Artie, would you do me the favor of posting the histogram of this image. I think I would find it very helpful. Thanks.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Which histogram? Before or post?

Stephen Stephen
10-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Artie very nice image with the high key BG. I like the exposure on both feathers and bill and the catchlight in the eye.

Stu Bowie
10-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Excellent detail and exposure Artie, and I like the pose. Killer BG.

Amano Samarpan
10-16-2010, 06:14 AM
I like the colouration here .. almost Black and White but not !

An emphatic slice of red.

Wonder a little about the background patches such as in the bottom right .. might have applied a little Gaussian blur there to blend it in a bit!

Lovely image

Thanks for sharing

Artie

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 06:37 AM
I like the colouration here .. almost Black and White but not !

An emphatic slice of red.

Wonder a little about the background patches such as in the bottom right .. might have applied a little Gaussian blur there to blend it in a bit!

Lovely image

Thanks for sharing. Artie

Thanks Amano. I have already gotten rid of some dark in the upper left corner. I like the bit that I have left. :)

Andrew Merwin
10-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Which histogram? Before or post?

Before please. Thanks

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Andrew, Here is the BreezeBrowser histogram. It shows that I could have gone a bit lighter with the original capture.

Andrew Merwin
10-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks Artie. I appreciate it.

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 08:25 AM
No problema Andrew. Any time.

Troy Lim
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Nice portrait, great exposure..great details on white and black.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Perfect details in blacks and whites. Excellent portrait. Congrats. :)

Amano Samarpan
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Amano. I have already gotten rid of some dark in the upper left corner. I like the bit that I have left. :)

The only thing that made me respond to the BG Artie was when I saw the image on an uncalibrated screen ... then it stood out.

Know what you mean about using lots of focus points ... if one was down to one, the obvious choice would be to place it on the non-central eye which might not be the best place!

Amano

Arthur Morris
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Lots of focus points can work well but only in the right situation. This is one of them :)