PDA

View Full Version : Bad head angle? or not?

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Yellow-crowned night heron. After getting the image with the right HA, I made this one as I liked it too. Does it really work?

I realise that I need to remove the OOF circlular highlight. will do that when I get the time.

40D. 400 f5.6L wide-open. iso400. 1/400s. evaluative metering -2/3. almost full-frame.

Paul Lagasi
10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
So close...I'd keep the image if it were mine, the background is nice, sharp details on the face, agree about highlight but to me the head angle is just a bit, to far to the right...TFS

Ben_Sadd
10-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I do like the way that this perspective enables one to see the curvature of the eye, but I agree with Paul that the HA is just a little too much off. If this was the only shot I had of a rare bird I would definitely keep it, but you say you have another better shot.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Thx guys.

Yes, I have one with the right HA: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?68394-Backlit-Yellow-crowned-night-heron-portrait&highlight=

denise ippolito
10-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Kaustubh, I like it. The bird is looking into the unknown. I like the clear eye and the background but for the highlights you mentioned. I like it as presented.:)

Judy Howle
10-15-2010, 07:12 PM
The luminous eye looks great. I like it as presented. Nice light!

Indranil Sircar
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice composition and certainly fits this week's theme. Excellent details and beautiful sidelight. Love the eye! I do agree with Paul, a slight turn of the HA would make this excellent one. Another option would be to extend the canvas a bit on the left as if the bird is looking into the unknown.

Cheryl Slechta
10-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Kaustubh, I like it as presented also. I looked at the link you posted on Avian and actually like this one as much - it's very contemplative and subtle.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Kaustubh,

Greetings. I actually I like this one better despite the broken HA rule.... particularly if you take up Indranil's suggestion on the canvas extension. The story (again, from Indranil "looking into the unknown") is very strong and the through the eye light is fabulous. Good show!

Cheers,

-Michael-

Arthur Morris
10-16-2010, 08:57 PM
The head angle here is not bad, it is just different, a bit out of the box if you will. And yes, looking into the unknown works for me here.

Christopher Miller
10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I like this a lot, Kaustubh. Personally I like it even better than the one with the "correct HA" because of the peaceful, contemplative mood that it has.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Thx everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback.