PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinch

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Bean bag Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS ISO 400 -0.67 1/1000 sec f7.1.

I placed niger seeds in the teasel head, trouble is this is the stroppy one and he won't let the fully coloured males near the seeds!
All C&C welcome.

Stu Bowie
10-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Good lookback pose, and I like detail and colours on the finch. I would maybe CW rotate the thistle so the stem is vertical. I dont believe it would affect the pose of the finch.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Jonathan,

I like this picture much more than your other goldfinch picture. Great light and details ... the bright diagonal line is a little disturbing. If is a setup I would move the thistle to a spot where this -I guess a tree- not in thebackground.

Is it the same individual?

Congrats one of my favorite birds in Uk

Cheers from currently Moreton Uk

Geraldo

Geraldo Hofmann
10-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I forgot ... as a trick you can use a toy or some other new unknown object and place it near the thistle .... often the bold bird (your juvenile) will be more neophobic and will wait longer to return to the thistle than the less bold fully molted males. It doesn't work always but helped me quite often to get at leat a couple of shots from birds which otherwise would have no chance to get the handouts.....

Cheers from currently Moreton/Wirral

Geraldo ... saw lots of beautiful adult males in Leasowe including two striking Linnets.

Bill Dix
10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Handsome perch and great composition. I agree with the comment about the light stripe, and certainly worth trying to get the fully-colored male. Interesting suggestion from Geraldo.

Austin Thomas
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Lovely colours and tones in this image Jon.

Nicely done.

Cheers

Austin

Pieter de Waal
10-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Nice image , pin sharp and good light and exposure. Great colours.

Gary Esman
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Sharp with fantastic detail! Love the perch and the look back. Do agree with about the diagonal line being a little distracting. TFS