PDA

View Full Version : ...ANT the stars came out...

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I am off again for a week to the Kalahari desert...hopefully to create some striking images as it's thunderstorm season now!

This was captured in August 2010 in the Karoo desert, South Africa. See you all upon my return!

The line at the top is a "shooting star" (okay I know it's a piece of debris burning out in the atmosphere...but it's still cool to call it that!)

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f3.5 @ 25s @ ISO-2000
Foreground painted with LED Lenser torch bounced off my hand

Geoff Warnock
10-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Lovely image Morkel. Are the white spots on the mound of earth bird droppings?

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2010, 05:19 AM
thanks Geoff - that's a termite mound, hence the title "ANT" ;)

those are indeed bird droppings...I don't clone stuff like that out

Roger Clark
10-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Morkel,

Nice image. I would darken the foreground a little so it isn't as dominant. I love those southern skies, which I do not get to see very often.

This is a nice view of the southern Milky Way. The dark spot to the right of center is the coal sack, right next to the Southern Cross. The Northern cross is in Cygnus, and is seen is some of Roman's images. The Southern Cross was used by early explorers for navigation.

Roger

Andrew McLachlan
10-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Nice capture Morkel!

Have a great trip. Look forward to seeing more of your work upon your return.

Rene Quenneville
10-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Beautiful sky,
I think that if you darken the botom edge of the frame, it will balance the view better.

Bob Miller
10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
HI Morkel....I like this alot as presented!

Ken Watkins
10-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Interesting use of a head torch, I quite like the efect:)

One day I will get a tripod.

Dave Mills
10-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Morkel, what I like most of all is that your making comps out of simple subjects and being creative. Seeing your in a desert with not much to use in material you found a foreground. I'm mixed on whether it should be darkened. If so I wouldn't do it by much. Good capture of an interesting sky....

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi Morkel,

I have come back to this one repeatedly as I just did not feel it floated my boat. I have decided that the sky is not strong enough - given the much stronger efforts you have presented in the past.

Roman Kurywczak
10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Hey Morkel,
I'd have to agree with Robert on this one!.....I just don't think the FG is strong enough and the sky doesn't have the drama of some of your other images. Have a great trip and looking forward to more!