PDA

View Full Version : Endangered Youngster

Morkel Erasmus
10-15-2010, 01:03 AM
The current wave of rhino poaching in South Africa and Africa as a whole is very concerning...and I sincerely hope that this photo will not be the only black rhino calf my kids ever get to see...

I will refrain from stating where this was photographed given the current state of affairs.

I am off to the Kalahari again so I'll clock in with all of you in about 9 days!! :)
Keep posting some stunners...

Techs:
Canon 7D with 100-400mm @ 330mm
f7.1 @ 1/1000 SS @ ISO-400

Ken Watkins
10-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Without wishing to be overly political, I find that the sensationalistic publicity around Rhino in outh Africa to be grossly missleading and biased.

If you where a poacher where would you go, there are lots of Rhino in South Africa,( very few elsewhere) and despite the efforts of these remarkably equipped poaching syndicates the population growth exceeds these heavy losses.

The simple answer is to get CITES to change its silly regulations and allow the export of farmed Rhino horn (this does not require the death of the animal).

Nice image clearly showing the hooked lip.

Steve Kaluski
10-15-2010, 02:54 AM
A nice image Morkel, but I love those 'trumpets' for ears. Personally would like to have seen a tighter head shot, as that is the key for me in the image, with the ears and lip. If possible, it's always good to have some detail shots in the bag after the main shot, but not always possible ;)

Trust you will hook in next week at some point Sir. :D:D:D

TFS
Steve

Steve Canuel
10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Nice one Morkel. He looks ferocious :D. I like the tiny catchlight, the golden light and habitat, and of course those ears.

Marina Scarr
10-16-2010, 08:09 AM
You have gorgeous light for this rhino and an awesome pose. It all comes together well with a touch of environment and nice angle and terrific detail. I would love to see another post a bit wider with more of an environmental feel.

Rachel Hollander
10-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Morkel - Nice image of the youngster in good light. Hope you have a successful trip to the Kalahari. Looking forward to seeing photos from it.

Rachel

Robert Amoruso
10-17-2010, 11:07 AM
You have gorgeous light for this rhino and an awesome pose. It all comes together well with a touch of environment and nice angle and terrific detail.

Marina summed it well for me too. Good luck on your trip.

DanWalters
10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Nice color in the rhino and in the surrounding environment. Like the little bit of red around the mouth.

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2010, 12:22 PM
thanks for the kind comments everyone!!

Harshad Barve
10-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Lovely image Morkelbhai , Must say these are highly endangered
TFS