PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified bird

Dawn Currie
10-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I was hoping someone could help me identify a bird I photographed at the Pelican Island Wildlife Refuge. My on-line search has not found a dove or pigeon with aqua around the eye. Can you identify this bird and steer me to the best website I can use in the future?

Gus Hallgren
10-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Looks like a White-winged dove to me . . . Gus
Be easy to spot if you had incvluded wing.

Jeff Sorbie
10-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I would say that it looks like a Morning Dove to me.

Gus Hallgren
10-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Your definity correct, Jeff. The ww has a coloured eye. You would think that at 86 I would know, but then again . . . :2eyes2:

Dawn Currie
10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback - here's one with the entire bird, including wing and tail.

Julie Kenward
10-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Sibley's Bird Guide says that the Mourning Dove has a blue orbital ring and a black iris and the White Winged Dove has a blue orbital ring and an orange-red iris. (BTW, Sibley's bird guide is the best investment you'll make IMHO...so much information!)

Any time you have a question about the identity of a bird, drop down to the Educational forums (right below the critique forums) and you'll see the Avian: Indentification, Behavioral & Nomenclature forum (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?58-Avian-Identification-Behavior-and-Nomenclature). It's the place to go when you're not in the know!

Dawn Currie
10-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Oops! Sorry for posting this in the wrong place. Thanks for the help with the ID, the tip on Sibley's, as well as the educational forum. I'm new to both birding and this forum, so I'm still finding my way around. I appreciate your patience. I've been into photography for a few decades now, but I lack bird knowledge that will help me go to the next level. I wasn't completely happy with the focus/DOF on the close-up. The full profile image is clearer and I managed to get a nice catch light in the eye, but overall, I think the photograph is a bit of a yawn without that something special to draw the viewer in. I'm meeting up with a local Audubon group this Saturday morning to continue my avian education and I hope to have something to post after the outing.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, this one looks like a mourning dove.