10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi

Currently in Portugal; no editing software except I photo

Sharped up, reduced highlights, crop 40%

1/1600 f 10.0 275mm on Canon 40D with 100-400

Rich

Mark Young
10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I like the simplicity and perspective you've got here. The whites look nice and not overexposed, but I'm viewing this on my poor work monitor which isn't that good.

Julie Kenward
10-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Richard this has an almost surreal quality to it. It's so perfect it almost looks Photoshopped! What a clear, clean portrait you have here.

I really like the quality of the light and the exposure on this one. Even the shadow falling on his lower body seems clean and well exposed. I tried a few different crops to try to get his eye in more of a ROT's position but it just wasn't working so I'd say crop a bit from the right to get his eye closer to the ROT's vertical line and defintely clone out that bird poop when you get back home. :D

James Shadle
10-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Richard,
What ISO? 400?
You nailed the exposure is why I asked and the value (SS and F stiop) you used is the Sunny 16 value for white!
Dead sharp as well. Usually images with such an acute angle to the subject aren't very pleasing. IMO if the Gull had been looking at you from that angle, you would have a winner on your hands.
James

Cheryl Flory
10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
great job on exposure! I would try to add some contrast or something to make the eye stand out more and appear sharper. very nice image!

Richard Unsworth
10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi

thanks all
Julie will de-poop etc at base!
James SS 1/1600 handheld ISO was indeed 400 sun positioned almost directly behind
Cheryl - will do when back to base and cs51
I have several shots and will look more closely later; the sky was stunningly blue and the bird looked like he was surveying his kingdom!

Rich