PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Donocobius

Chris Zink
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Taken with a D300s using 200-400 mm lens with 1.4 x teleconverter, hand-held from a canoe on a river in the Pantanal. These guys pop up and down amongst the leaves of the lilies at waterside.

Jeff Sorbie
10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Nice catch Chris. I like the sharpness, colors and BG. I only wish the tail was not cut off by a leaf

Chris Zink
10-13-2010, 09:09 PM
You and me both!:)

subramanya_ck
10-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Love the details. Excellent closeup Image, nice HA and BKGR. Agree with Jeff on cloning out the cut leaf.

Best Regards,
Subbu

Alfredo Fernández
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
And think that maybe it has a little too much pp??
sharpness, contrast??
beside that incredible shot, when i was in the amazonia i coudnt catch these guys, they were far away and moved too fast.

John Guastella
10-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Beautiful bird, good exposure. But the image does not look particularly sharp on my monitor, especially the head and neck. I think the beak is out of the focal plane.

The OOF portion of the leaf on which the bird is perched is somewhat distracting, but not much you can do about where a bird perches. What f-stop was used? The OOF leaf at the LRC is also a distraction - that one you can deal with, if you feel it's appropriate.

There are artifacts in the background, particularly a set of nested dark "swirls" just to the left of the bird's breast and another set in the URC. I get these sometimes on my 7D with dark BGs. Don't know what causes them and haven't found a solution to them.

John

RAM MALLYA
10-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Lovely closeup , The HA could have been better .

Arthur Morris
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Cool bird with a potentially nice BKGR but as Alfredo noted there are many serious problems: sharpest focus is on the near wing--you have got to get the sensor on the bird's eye by hook or by crook. Image is overall too dark, over-saturated, and a bit too contrasty.... So yes, it is over-proceesed.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Very nice bird and pose. BG is very appealing. I gave it a try in PS, there's not much to do with posterization but I'm sure that it can be an easy fix in your RAW file. It was a tad dark but there are good details that can be recovered. I also applied a 3:2 crop but the head is too close to top.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-14-2010, 10:56 PM
PS: I hope you don't mind my intervention.

Arthur Morris
10-17-2010, 01:19 PM
JC, Your intervention is appreciated. You lightened it quite nicely but it is still very contrasty and oversaturated.