PDA

View Full Version : Panorama - McArthur Falls

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Here is a panoramic from my recent fall color trip. As can be seen many of the leaves are already gone. I thought this scene had enough of a sprinkling of color to work. McArthur Falls is on the Little Mississippi River in Ontario's Ottawa Valley. It isn't really much of a waterfall, as can be seen, but I thought perhaps a pan was the best way to capture it.

The original captures for this pan consisted of 6 horizontal photos. There is another small cascade to the right of the rocks on the right, but I felt it was too insignificant to keep. As a result, I stitched this pan from 4 photos rather than 6.

Nikon D200
80-400mm VR lens @ 80mm (effective focal length 120mm)
ISO 100
f16 @ 0.4 sec (manually set)
Polarizer
Tripod with ball head (leveling base between tripod and ball head)

Rene Quenneville
10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Beautiful colors and falls. Nicely stitched together.good job!
I wish that the comp would show more of the trees and less of the water. I feel that the picture lacks a foreground element which could be compensated by lowering the shore line in the frame.

Judy Howle
10-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I like the colors and you did a good job on the pano. I'd also like to see more of the trees and less of the water. Lack of foreground doesn't bother me in this instance.

Robert Amoruso
10-14-2010, 06:56 AM
I feel the same here, more trees less water would have improved the composition.

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey Andrew,
Yep....another vote for more trees and less water.....but that may have intoduced sky.....which would help IMO. What to do? In this case a slower SS......since the falls arent that dominant.....to smooth the FG ripples in the water would have made the FG water more pleasing and harmonious to the scene. A ND filter definitely helps but I do wonder if the polariser was crnanked down as there is still a bunch of glare on the water. Just some food for thought for next time out. Excellent job on the stitch BTW.

Arthur Morris
10-14-2010, 10:04 AM
While I love the side to side arrangement of elements I am in the more trees less water camp. A much longer ss might have given you some silky water.

Dave Mills
10-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi Andrew, Good offset placement of the falls and I like the big rock anchoring the left. I also like the detail in the water(I've always been prone to detail there) and agree on a bit less water and more trees. You don't have alot of water to begin with so I wouldn't take a great deal out. I too wonder about the polariser pertaining to the glare in the water...

Andrew McLachlan
10-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I agree with everyone that I will have to crop out some of the water. Roman is right that if I tried to add more trees I would have introduced some sky. As for polariser, I think I cranked it, but can't be certain. It is possible that I tested the pan out with verticals and then switched to the horizontals and had a brain cramp forgetting to crank it. I had a 3 stop and 10 stop ND with me and should have used them too. Ain't hind-sight wonderful!

Thanks again to everyone for comments, much appreciated.