PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly

WIlliam Maroldo
10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Sony A850~Sony 2.8 100 Macro~ISO 1000~1/125~F13~HH~natural light~10-9-2020~Houston Arboretum

Head on closeup at F13 still shows a narrow DOF, but it works with this image IMO. I have images of the entire dragonfly, but in order to get more detail of the head I moved in closer. I realize soft light would have been better, especially with the way bright light intereacts with the eyes.Also the sun being lower on the horizon would have helped. I think 1/125 may have had a negative effect on sharpness,(it was windy) though the full sized image shows considerably more detail, as you would expect, and is most noticeable with the eyes.
A leg at the bottom was clipped(just barely), and could be fixed pretty easily with a clone brush. Pretty happy with the BG. Comments and critique welcomed.regards~Bill

Geoff Warnock
10-14-2010, 07:23 AM
A lovey image William, made by the colour of the eyes and I don't think I would want more DOF with this view. Just right! (only possible minus for me is the outstretched rear leg)

Ken Childs
10-14-2010, 07:40 AM
William, you've captured the best Dragon to hone your macro skills on, the Blue Dasher. These are generally the most cooperative of any species of North American Dragonfly when it comes to getting close-ups.

You've already done a pretty good job of self critiquing this shot so I won't rehash the points you already mentioned. This is another subject that using some flash could have helped push up that SS and/or allowed you to use a smaller aperture to get more DOF. It also may have helped lighten some of the lower areas on the dragon's head. With this head-on pose, I would have tried a few shots with the camera sideways, concentrating on what is the center part of this image. Just something to think of the next time you find a cooperative subject like this. :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Hey William,
I agree with your own and Ken's assesment. I am actually OK with the DOF.....but using flash to tame the bright light (yes flash to tame)....as the main light source .....may have been the way to go. Playing around with the flash.....powering it up and down as fill or main light.....will help you quickly asses a lighting situation in the future trips out. Everyone loves soft natural light images.....using flash so they are just as pleasing can now be rather quickly developed because digital makes the learning curve much quicker and usually freezes most wind motion! Just a few more things to try out when you are in the field.

Steve Maxson
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi William. You're getting better at this! :) Good job on your self critique and you also have some good suggestions from Ken and Roman. The main issue I have is with the harsh light (which you acknowledge above) - you might try some careful cloning of the specular highlights on the dragonfly's face and legs as well as the very bright spots on the perch to make the light appear softer.

Bob Miller
10-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Nice image...The only thing I would like to see is a softer light !