PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Phoebe

Jim Crosswell
10-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't have my book with me so I don't want to make a mistake with the ID. This was taken in some prairie grass in Windsor, Ontario. All C&Cs are appreciated. Some horizontal grasses were removed and a section of the lower branch as well.

Canon 40D
500L f/4
1.4 Extender
ISO 400
f/6.3
1/320s
Tripod

Richard Sleeman
10-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm not an expert,but it looks like an Eastern Phoebe to me.
Richard

Aidan Briggs
10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Yes it is an Eastern Phoebe. Nice job on the PS work. I like the soft light, and the grasses in the BG are just blurred enough so as not to be distracting. Would like to see a bit more of a head turn.

Looking forward to more!!

Joe Senzatimore
10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Wonderful job on exposure and composition. Love the soft light and great BG.

Daniel Cadieux
10-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Good exposure and sharpness, and I like the whispy BG and its' soft colours. A better HA would have been bonus, and would prefer the top of the perch not emerging from the Eastern Phoebe's head (taking a step or two towards the back of the bird and hope for a head turn would have been a great option if possible).

P.S. The solid black bill is a good clue here, as all the other flycatchers closely resembling this guy have bi-coloured bills.

Jim Crosswell
10-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Good exposure and sharpness, and I like the whispy BG and its' soft colours. A better HA would have been bonus, and would prefer the top of the perch not emerging from the Eastern Phoebe's head (taking a step or two towards the back of the bird and hope for a head turn would have been a great option if possible).

P.S. The solid black bill is a good clue here, as all the other flycatchers closely resembling this guy have bi-coloured bills.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I had no room to move for a different angle due to the high grass. Is there any way to change the title for the posting to Eastern Phoebe?

Daniel Cadieux
10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Done!

Jim Crosswell
10-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Done!

Thanks Daniel.

Stu Bowie
10-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Jim, comp works well, and I like the softer light, and pastel colours. A better HA would have good, and just love that BG.