PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian Waxwing

Jonas.Bergqvist
10-13-2010, 12:14 AM
http://www.naturfoto.fi/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sista_applet.jpg

A bohemian waxwing is munching on the last apple for this season.
The image was taken through a shrub with yellow leaves. I wanted the fall colors and add some softness to the picture.

I am a bit unsure about composition, is it to empty the upper right?

Geoff Warnock
10-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Hi Jonas, I like the colour you've achieved through the shrub, but it's made the whole image a bit fuzzy for my liking. It would also be nice if the bird was bigger and clearer in the frame. I like your idea to get the autumnal colours but I think you're right about the empty part of the composition.

Scott Frye
10-13-2010, 06:03 AM
The picture has a nice fall-feel to it but the bird is mush too small in the frame

Randy Stout
10-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Jonas:

Nice colors with very autumnal feel, but agree about the subject being too small, and too much space on right. If the image quality will stand it, could try some much tighter cropping from right, some from left.

Please be sure to include your camera/lens and post processing information, it really helps in our critiques.

Cheers

Randy

Dave Leroy
10-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I really like the idea and the colours are wonderful.

Another suggestion might be to take a bit from left and bottom and then try to bring out a bit more detail in the trc.

Good for you.

Dave

Jonas.Bergqvist
10-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Thank you all for your comments!
I did (made?) an alternative crop based on your suggestions. I found that cropping from both sides and the top was the best alternative.

http://www.naturfoto.fi/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sista_applet_2-copy.jpg

Randy: I tought that exif would be sufficient. I'll do better in the future ;)

Camera Model: NIKON D200
Lens: AI-S 300/2.8 IF ED
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: +0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No

Postprocessing info:
WB: 5900 -> 6500 (missed that setting :/)
Exposure: -0.2
Blacks: +18
Clarity +18
Vibrance +9
Satruation +5

Camera profile: landscape

After resize, a bit of sharpening

Randy Stout
10-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Jonas:

Big improvement with repost!

Not everyone can read the EXIF data, so putting it in the post is the way to go!

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Repost really helps. Size of bird in frame, and pose, are not ideal, but the colorful fall feeling is lovely.

Arthur Morris
10-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I beg to differ :) Though I like some of the leaves on the left all in all they are pretty chaotic.... So I started cropping and cropping and could not stop.... Then I cloned out a single small branch. And I loved the right side of the frame. Let me know what y'all think. BTW, though there were not many pixels there to start with the image held up fairly well. You can post up to 200kbs.

subramanya_ck
10-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Very artistic Image. Love the feel of the Image and the rich colors. Artie's report looks superb. A perfect image for the new year Greeting Card.

Best Regards,
Subbu

Harshad Barve
10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
You do not get much better than this
TFS

john jackson
10-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Hei Jonas

I like your original very much. There is a lot of space, but it is not dead space. I think wishes for a larger bird miss the point of the photo: the colour, the subtle pattern in the background, the bird with its eye on the mostly eaten apple and winter on the way.