PDA

View Full Version : Diggin' a hole - Horned Lark.

Daniel Cadieux
10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Same individual as before. When I first got close to this lark, it quickly dug itself a nice cup in the sand and sat low in it...presumably to hide from me (or perhaps a hawk as there have been many lately at this location). Anyhow, whatever or whoever it was hiding from it certainly made for interesting behaviour images. I was not aware larks did this, but I guess being a ground dweller it must be quite a normal instinct to do this when possible danger presents itself. After about 2 minutes it got back up a foraged for food nonchalantly around me - hence my reasoning a hawk may have been present.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering (+1.7 stops, metered off the sand), 1/500s., f/6.3, ISO 800, natural light, handheld lying flat on the ground, slight crop for comp (~85% FF).

Andrew McLachlan
10-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi Daniel,

Like this one a lot - especially the tones in the sand. Nice one!

Jeff Dyck
10-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Very nice behavioural shot Daniel. I am with Andrew - the soft lighting works very well with the sand and has given a beautiful overall tonality to the shot. I might be tempted to crop just a bit more in from the right to eliminate the black pebble and small chunk of sand on the edge of the frame and dodge / clone the second black pebble at the bottom right - I find them a bit distracting.

Dan Brown
10-12-2010, 08:53 PM
This is a great image all around Daniel! Love the FG,BG,low angle and the head on look, not to mention the great behavior! With the head-on look, I might crop some off the right side for a possible improvement on a great image!

Randy Stout
10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Daniel:

Really neat behavioral image. Reminds me of old war movies where they would dig the tanks down into the sand to give them a lower profile.
His colors and patterns blend well with the sand. Sharp and nicely exposed.

Cheers

Randy

denise ippolito
10-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Daniel, I like this a lot. The little dug out is great. Nice and sharp too.

Bhushan Dalvi
10-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Daniel, this is a great behavioral image. I like how the bird blends in with the BG and the sharpness. The HA here is intresting. I think a slight tilt of the head to expose the left eye more would have made it even better.

Bill Dix
10-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Nice one, Daniel. I like the complimentary colors, showing how well this fellow can camouflage himself. Comp is ok with me without any further crop; might be tempted to remove the several darkest pebbles on the right, but not necessary. Nice image just as presented.

Arthur Morris
10-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Wonderful on all counts. I am thinking that this must be a young bird with the rather indistinct face patterning.... The color scheme makes it.

Jim Crosswell
10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Great image Daniel! I like the setting, BG, FG and low angle.