PDA

View Full Version : Masai Child

Roger Clark
10-11-2010, 10:46 PM
A Masai child in her native village. Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area. January 2009.

Hmmm. It's sort of a landscape. It's also a "cityscape," and it's definitely a travel image, so I think it qualifies for this forum.

Canon 5D Mark II camera, 28-135 IS lens at 135 mm, f/6.3, 1/500 second, ISO 400, aperture priority, meter -2/3 stop.

Roger

Tim Munsey
10-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Looks like a lost boy, leaves me feeling a little sad for the fella. Needs some light as is over all the same tone.

Tim

Dave Mills
10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Roger. You have done a nice job with the composition. I like the positioning of the boy on the left and also showing the mud hut environment. The even lighting works with a possible contrast tweak.
I like the image along with the story....

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey Roger,
Definitely love the comp here.....with the door opening working nicely with the boy. I do think a slight contrast boost will help and only other recommendation I could make is the rock/stuff removal in the UR. yeah it was there but will just make the connection cleaner. A few tweaks and this one will really shine! BTW.....this is the wilds they live in.....so fits this category for me!

Robert Amoruso
10-12-2010, 05:34 PM
When I looked at this this morning, first thing I thought the boy and door shadow balance the image nicely and for that reason, it works very well compositionally.

Roger Clark
10-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks all. I did do a slight contrast boost compared to the in-camera jpeg (I shot jpeg+raw; this is a raw processed image). I'm on the fence about boosting contrast more. I agree it would give the image more visual appeal. But the flat nature I think better illustrates stark nature of the environment. Given that, do you still think a contrast boost would make the image better?

I only had a few seconds to get this image as other village members moved into the scene.

Roger

Dave Mills
10-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Roger, It's certainly worth a try. I like the image as is also but why not take a look. Your the final arbiter anyway...

Roman Kurywczak
10-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Having been there Roger....I am leaning with you on the contrast:)......it is a very stark and drab place in the villages and I think the tones convey it.

Arthur Morris
10-14-2010, 11:14 AM
All good stuff above. A crop from the bottom right at the little blue thing on the left would tighten this up nicely for me as the dirt street does not add as much as the buildings and it gets the child more into the corner.

Bob Miller
10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I like this as presented but agree a crop from the bottom would help the image a bit

Roger Clark
10-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Based on feedback, here is a redo. I lightened the girl and cropped the bottom a little so the pieces of rope on the ground are not in the scene, and I darkened the ground. I increased contrast on the girl but left the contrast on the background. I then lightened the image overall.

Artie suggested the crop from the bottom. I was skeptical, but I after doing it, I like it.

Comments welcome.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
10-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Child is definitely the focal point now!!!......and you didn't loose the look either! Nicely done with the suggestions!

Arthur Morris
10-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Much improved. Seeing the repost, I am wish for just a bit more of the roof.