PDA

View Full Version : King of the Seaweed Castle!

Richard Stern
10-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Peregrine on a seaweed-covered rock, Nova Scotia recently. Some cloning and Gaussian blur work done on the very fussy bg area above the head, and the oof yellow seaweed to the right of the head.

D300, 300 f/4 AF-S + 1.4TC, resting on open vehicle window.

ISO640, 1/800, f/9

Thanks for comments.

Richard

Stephen Stephen
10-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Richard nice to get this bird on an unsual perch. I like the over the shoulder look.

I think that you could still improve teh BG even more. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Zink
10-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I, too, like the way the bird's head is captured and also the way the whole bird is in focus. I agree re the background - it is too 'almost' in focus, making me wonder whether the pile of stuff on the right is the same stuff (seaweed) that he is sitting on, or different. And you probably don't want the viewer's thoughts to be on that rather than on the bird.

Chantelle Voss
10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Great shot Richard! Excellent pose. Chris makes an interesting point about the Ascophyllum rockweed (the seaweed) in the background being a bit distracting, especially from the bird's "castle". Thanks for sharing!

Daniel Cadieux
10-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Anyday you can photograph a wild Peregrine is a good day! Neat setting - almost looks like hay bales. The masking around the falcon could be tighter, and a bit less of a head angle would have cleared the bill-tip from the chin. Good call on the vertical comp...