PDA

View Full Version : A Night at an Icon

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Still in the Tetons but will be traveling in the morning for most of the day back home. I started out on this trip with a vision of capturing some of the iconic locations at both parks that were different. Hard to do in such a prolifically photographed place! I started out in the Tetons 2 weeks ago.....sights set on Schwabacher Landing. When I arrived, fall colors were peaking..... so with the weather forecast calling for clear skies.....decided not to sleep at all and headed out for the entire night. 26 hours later and a bunch of locations later.....finally went to sleep in the morning. It was a night I won't ever forget!

Here is the first of the icons......Schwabacher's Landing. Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm for 30 seconds at f4.5 and ISO 6400 all tripod mounted w/ bubble level in hotshoe. Small passes of Noise Ninja in PP'ing and saved at 68 quality to fit.

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Stunning Roman....very inspirational. Hats off to you for working so hard for this. I like how the mountains are looking moonlit.

Melissa Groo
10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Truly a magical image, Roman. Would love to see this huge on a wall!

Rene Quenneville
10-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Amazing picture. Well balanced comp and lighting on the peaks is just right.

denise ippolito
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Roman, The most original Schwabacher's Landing image I've seen. Very nicely done w/ the mood and the stars. You took a well photographed place and put your stamp on it. Kudos to you.:)

Hilary Hann
10-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Inspirationally beautiful and a great testament to your hard work.

Dave Mills
10-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Roman, very original and hard won! Besides the magic of the stars I'm impressed that you managed to show the tree colors which add another area of interest. Just enough water as a base with the addition of the reflection and stars.Well done!!:cheers:

Roger Clark
10-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Roman,

A very impressive image! What is the light source on the trees and mountains? It looks like it is from the northwest. Did you try a vertical composition? That would give more stars while limiting the frame to the most impressive mountain peaks.

Roger

Tim Munsey
10-12-2010, 03:56 AM
I had a camera like this, a D2H, terrible noise machine ;). So many stars, so little light pollution, I guess they go together.
Interesting image.

Tim

Andrew Merwin
10-12-2010, 08:19 AM
An arresting image. Truly beautiful. I never knew you could do this with a Mark III.

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks all! The illumination is the moon. I was working on the laptop and tired......so didn't want to run too much NR.....but may give it another round in final print version. You'd bet I did verts Roger......and plenty of different horizontals too. In the 18 years I've been going to Yellowstone and the Tetons.....never had a 5 day stretch of clear night skies before! Needless to say I got absolutely no sleep at night and slep after sunrise in the am most days.

Judy Howle
10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Your dedication and sleep deprivation was well-rewarded Roman. This image is absolutely gorgeous - the stars, the mountains and especially the trees!

Roger Clark
10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Roman,

The moonlight makes the image for me and sets it apart from many (most) night scenes. The moonlight casts shadows and creates depth in the mountains and trees. And the moonlight is not overpowering for the stars. Great balance! Was the Moon a crescent in the morning before sunrise?

Roger

Andrew McLachlan
10-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Hi Roman,

Ditto all previous comments. Beautiful!