10-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Nikon D-300
1/60 f16
ISO400
90 mm macro
comments welcome

Dave Mills
10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Bob, Beautiful color,lighting with the image sharp where it needs to be. The spider really stands out and adds alot of interest.
IMO the black backround needs some work. I don't feel it's a plus showing the material used as a backdrop. I would prefer it solid black or the material not noticeable...

Mike Moats
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Hey Bob, cool critter, and I agree with dave on the BG, in this case I would have shot tighter on the spider and flower to the point where it eliminated the right side.

Steve Maxson
10-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi Bob. Cool colors and good detail on the flower. The spider really stands out on the dark background (not very effective camouflage!) and is a big plus. I agree about the fabric background - you could probably use a blurring technique to make it less noticeable. In terms of tweaks, you might clean up the little white specks on the petals and background, and you could crop a little off the bottom to eliminate the clipped tip of the petal in the 5 o'clock position. I think this image would be even stronger had the spider been at an angle in the 1 or 2 o'clock position instead of at 3 o'clock. If you have room in the frame you might experiment with a rotation to change the position of the spider. The image is very nice as is, but it has a lot of potential to move up several notches. :)

Dave Leroy
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I really like the colours and detail in the sunflower and spider stands out well.

Lots of good suggestions already given and the one that seemed to make sense to me right away was a bit of a crop off the bottom as suggested by Steve.

Photo certainly has that fall feeling.

Melissa Groo
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Gorgeous photo, Bob! I love it. Perfect exposure, colors are awesome, great clarity. I agree about how the background interferes with the natural feeling of this.

Ken Childs
10-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey Bob, I also love the colors on this and crab spiders always make good subjects, IMHO.
I think a tighter crop eliminating most of the black on the right is the way to go and Steve is definitely on to something with the suggested rotation. A few tweaks can go a long way is making this one stronger. :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey Bob,
Super contrast and colors here.....agree with the black BG too. I think if yo uadd a tube.....eliminating most of the black area......but not all the petals......this one has huge potential! You are definitely on to something!!!

Chantelle Voss
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Great shot and beautiful colors. I agree with the comments above.. eliminating the material in the lower left and focusing the shot with the spider in a corner may help. Thanks for the photo!

Bob Miller
10-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone! I will have to pay much more attention to my bgs...don't think I have the room to rotate without losing too much of the petals that I like!