PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Bluebird

Maureen Allen
10-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Shot from my backyard blind today. I should have upped the ISO but didn't realize from inside my little cave that the light was fading so quickly this afternoon. I tried to add a little canvas on top, but alas my skills in that area are severely lacking :(

Nikon D300
200-400mm f/4 +1.4x @ 550mm
ISO 800
f/8
1/80

Comments/suggestions appreciated!

Lance Peters
10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi Maureen - lots to like here --Good HA, Eye contact and pose and a nice BG. Agree with the ISO - 1/80th is getting a little slow to ensure a sharp image - though this does look good.
Looks a little flat on my screen - cold use a bit of a contrast boost (TRy setting a black and white point - via a levels adjustment layer)
I would be tempted to sharpen the bird just a tad more than what you have here and tone down the couple of bright white spots along the perch. You can also get a little more detail from the eye by selectively lightening it and then sharpening a little (Use the selection tool to select the eye - CTRL+L Brings up levels and adjust the middle slider to make the eye lighter - then just a Unsharp mask on the same selection).

Doing Well!

Kerry Perkins
10-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Maureen, very nice capture! Spot-on critique by Lance and I would only add that I might expel those little danglers in the LLC. A bit more pop would put this one over the top. Beautiful background!

John Chardine
10-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi Maureen- You must have been thrilled to have this bird at your setup. The pose and head angle are good and the perch is not too big for the bird. Agree with Lance and Kerry and I would add that the bird is a little tight in the frame. More room at the top and to the right would be a good move. Are you able to recrop or do you have to add canvas for this?

Dawn Currie
10-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Maureen, In an attempt to apply some of the feedback you received so far, I applied an unsharp mask filter and played with the levels to give you a sharper image with more "pop". This is a really lovely bird.

Maureen Allen
10-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the comments. Lance, your critiques are always incredibly helpful! I will follow your advice definitely.

I guess I'm still having a hard time deciding how much sharpening and contrast i like in my photographs. Maybe I'm just a softie :D I think it's going to take some practice on my part and a bit of a change in mindset.

John, unfortunately I don't have more canvas at the top or to the right and this is the only decent shot I got. I did try to add some but really it was a pathetic effort. Next time I'll try to give him more space..

Thanks again all!

Maureen Allen
10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Here the same shot with my attempt at following your advice, Lance. Better? Oops, I see I forgot about the danglers Kerry mentioned. I'll fix that.

Bob Miller
10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Hi Maureen...your repost is a definite improvement! just a little more sharpening to the eye needed for my taste....but way better. Stay with the forum and you will learn all kinds of things...I did! :cheers:

Michael Henry
10-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Maureen
I actually don't mind the little "danglers" Your re-post with Lance's suggestions really looks good. Lovely BG!

Maureen Allen
10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks Bob & Michael. I appreciate the feedback.

Julie Kenward
10-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Maureen, there's help on how to add canvas in the educational forums. It's not hard to do (your BG would probably work very well in this case). If you want me to walk you through it let me know...otherwise it's in the educational forums and it's a snap once you learn how to do it!

Maureen Allen
10-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks Julie. I'll study that. If I need more help with it, I'll let you know. So much to learn!