PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin Sunset

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2010, 08:00 PM

During my fall color trip this year I wanted to explore the northeast regions of Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. I drove to a camp site along the Barron Canyon Road at Grand Lake and within minutes of arrival was greeted with this sunset.

Nikon D200
12-24mm lens @ 12mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1 sec.
Nikon polarizer and handheld Singh Ray 2-stop grad filter

Look forward to all comments.

Arthur Morris
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Love the clouds and the colors but not all the stuff growing in the water.... What was the effective focal length?

Judy Howle
10-10-2010, 10:18 PM
The colors and reflections are beautiful! Nice silhouettes of the trees and hills too.

Robert Amoruso
10-11-2010, 11:06 AM
The clouds, reflections, shoreline on left and tree line on right all have a leading line affect drawing you into the image which is what you are looking to accomplish. Nicely composed.

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey Andrew,
Another one that I feel is very well done! Yeah......a bit less stuff in the water would have been great......but it doesn't detract from the overall strong comp and sweet colors. Great definition of the clouds take this up a notch. Very well done.

Andrew McLachlan
10-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I too am a little bothered by the plantlife in the foreground water. I did shoot several comps - some with lens pointed more upwards to include more sky and less foreground, but processed this one first, I felt the clouds reflection was needed to bring it all together.

Arthur, the effective focal length would be 18mm.

Dave Mills
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Andrew, Love the colors with a basically sound comp. The weeds in the water didn't really effect my view of the image very much. For my taste there is a bit too much neg space on the rt and if this were mine I would crop a small amount off.(about 1/2") Good one!

A_Maddah
10-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Andrew
Lovely shot.Great colors with good comp.TFS

Asad