PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Sunset HDR

Judy Howle
10-10-2010, 07:07 PM
This was taken 21 July. We haven't had a sunset with clouds since early September!

I bought Nik HDR Efex Pro and this is one of my first landscape images using it. EOS 5D Mark II, f/8 @ 32 mm, ISO 200.

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Judy,

I really like the look of this. Including lots of clouds was an excellent choice. I am planning on getting the new Nik HDR - looks like it does a nice job. My only suggestion would be to clone out the two spots in the water towards the LH side of image. Although they are natural they sort of look like dust spots. Beautiful sunset!

Judy Howle
10-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks Andrew. I think the spots are cloud reflections. I like the Nik plugin. It creates a finished product. I never did get great results with Photomatix and it required too much post processing. All I did was sharpen this one! NAPP has a $30 off code until Oct 25 I think.

Melissa Groo
10-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Beautiful sunset and clouds, Judy! Love the colors too.

Robert Amoruso
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice drama in the clouds. I think I might have cropped more of the right side to remove the bright area in the middle right - in the field, aiming left for same affect giving the right hand side a uniform dark edge.

Roman Kurywczak
10-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey Judy,
Very nice sun placement and great job on the HDR. I might take a sliver off the top (just below the blue v at center top frame ).......this emphasizes the diagonal more and strengthens the clouds for me. Not a biggie.....very well done overall!

Dave Mills
10-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi Judy, agree with both Roman's and Robert's cropping suggestions. I like how Nik's new HDR plug in handled the image. On my list...

Judy Howle
10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comment. I was going to try some of the suggestions before answering and posting but I've been too busy. Hopefully I'll get it done soon.

Tim Munsey
10-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Seems the new HDR software works well, quite natural looking. I like
nik software but it is expensive compared to competition.

Tim