PDA

View Full Version : Gerbera Daisy in the Sunlight

Julie Kenward
10-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Here's another version of the candy corn gerbera I did a week or so ago. This time I used the trees in my backyard as the BG. I chose to let the sun come from the side/back so it would intentionally light up the yellow circle in the middle. I added an Orton effect at the end and then pulled it almost all the way out - but it left a soft glow/brightness to the overall image and helped light up the BG so it was more in keeping with the flower's lighting.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f3.5 @ 1/60th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, fill flash fired
Handheld, arms braced on table
Processed in ACR & CS4 - cropped, Orton, curves adjustment

Dave Mills
10-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Julie, A pleasingly soft view of a most colorful subject. Good lighting with a muted backround and a slightly curved stem.
I like it as is but might try a small contrast adj(without darkening the center) to add a bit of dimension. nice one!

Dave Woeller
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Julie, I like the color and lighting in this also. The background is fabulous. I like the crop, but might explore just a touch more room on the left side for my taste. Lovely as is though. Just another interpretation?

Julie Kenward
10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks Dave(s)! I also thought about more room on the left and a bit more contrast between the BG and the flower itself so I'll take another look. Appreciate the feedback.

Steve Maxson
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Jules. It looks like you're getting your mileage out of this flower. :) Lots of great color, nice soft background, and I like the comp with the curve in the stem and the flower at an angle. I, too, think it would be interesting to experiment with a little more contrast between flower and background and I would wish that the front petals were sharper (said the guy who can't even contemplate shooting macro at f/3.5 :) - I probably need to broaden my horizons). I think it comes down mostly to style, taste, and your vision for how you wanted this image to look - so feel free to take my suggestions with a grain of salt. :)

Ken Childs
10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Jules, I pretty much agree with Steve's assessment. I love the soft look but I find myself wishing those front petals were just a bit sharper.

My problem with an image like this is that I have this compulsion to boost the colors and contrast to the point where sunglasses are needed to view it. :D

Jay Sheinfield
10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Jules,

the FG pedals are OK with me, they lead my eye to the center. Speaking of the center, there is a beautiful maroon hue that I would love to see more of..........just thinking to open that color up a bit. Otherwise, It's simply stunning, just understated enough to invite a wonderful mood. GReat flash work................

Mike Moats
10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey Jules, a good solid flower portrait, and agree with a little more sharpness on front petals would have been nice.

Julie Kenward
10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I realized those front petals would get in the way of some people liking it. I might go back and take the slight orton blur off and see if I can get them a bit sharper. I did lighten the center a bit but could probably boost it a little more. Thanks for your insights everyone!

Art Kornienko
10-16-2010, 06:41 AM
I would have preferrred a bit more room on left, lighting does seem a bit muted and overall seems a bit soft. Would tripod have helped?

Charles Wesley
10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Jules,

A most beautiful work of floral art. Think this would sell. Like it alot. Great color and compositional work. Thanks for sharing...