PDA

View Full Version : White Dome Geyser 2

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Still in the Tetons....so catching up here. I did a whole bunch of new night stuff early on the trip when it was clear but I have only 1 image corrected so far.... so I figured I'd share this one with you first. I have photographed white dome at night more than any other geyser in the park.......so this is one of many! I decided to use a flash on this to illuminate and freeze the erruption. This was a quick and dirty fix on my laptop......so hope it looks OK.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm at f4.0 for 30 seconds tripod mounted w/ bubble level in hotshoe. 1 flash burst.

Rene Quenneville
10-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Interresting picture. Well balanced comp. The flash has highlighted these hot spots in the sky. I feel that the ones in front of the steam shoud be cloned out. Off camera flash would add more depth (shadows) and reduce these highlights

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Hey Rene,
Flash was way off (15 feet) to the right.....I do think those are the stars peeking out from behind steam.

denise ippolito
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Roman, The sky is awesome. My White Dome erupting images don't look like this! I like the comp. and the way the steam flows to the left is a nice touch.

Andrew McLachlan
10-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi Roman,

Very nicely done. To me it does look like stars shining through the steam.

Nick Palmieri
10-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Super job with this one. I like it as is. Great exposure, great idea using the flash.

Melissa Groo
10-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Roman, what a wonderful picture of this.

Dave Mills
10-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey Roman, Glad you were finally able to post one...nice image with the lighting pretty evenly balanced. The steam is well defined with a great view of the starry night.(sounds like a song)
If this were mine I might play around with some mild contrast adj to make the foreground stand out a bit more from the backround. All in all very nicely handled...

Arthur Morris
10-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Wicked good and amazing at night. If only I could sleep during the day.... And yes to stars....

Robert Amoruso
10-11-2010, 03:53 AM
I like the lines in the FG - diagonals that bring you right up to the geyser. Good with with the exposure as brightness levels all balance out well.

Roger Clark
10-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Roman,

Very nicely done. I really like images like this. You were looking northwest, and the main constellation is Cygnus, and the dark lanes in the galaxy show extending down to the horizon. Aquila is at lower left with the star Altair. The constellation of Lyra is behind the plume and the bright star Vega (Alpha Lyrae) is shining through the steam. I like the cloud arcing up and into the frame. The flash freezing the action of the geyser makes the image. Well done!

What was the ISO and did you have to stretch it much to bring out the galaxy?

Roger

Andrew Merwin
10-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Outstanding image.

Roman Kurywczak
10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks all! Just walked in the door back home....Roger.....thanks for the star info....sorry too.....I almost always use ISO 6400 and then noise ninja when necessary. I used it very lightly on the FG.....a bit more on the sky......although not as much as you would think you needed. #1 reson I have 2 Mark lll's and not gone to the Mark lV. I have other images from a few days earlier when it was even more clear and I will be posting it shortly.
Thanks again all!

Tim Munsey
10-13-2010, 05:26 AM
This looks like its been shot on another world, l like the simplicity of this one.

Tim

Morkel Erasmus
10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
beautiful work Roman - having the flash off-camera certainly helped here...looks very alien!

Bob Miller
10-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey Roman...beautiful image! I really like this! Since you have been out there so many times....Do you mind sharing....Do you drive or fly ? closest airport?