PDA

View Full Version : Civitiveccia Italy Landscape

Joe Senzatimore
10-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Back from my Med Cruise to Greece,Turkey, Croacia and Venice. This image was taken in Civiteveccia Italy which is a port town about 40 minutes outside of Rome. This is the port that the Cruise ships use. Stayed over 1 day here to explore this beautiful little village. This image was shot as a straight landscape then brought into Photomatix and processed as a 1 imamge faux HDR using the "grunge" preset.

250 ISO f8 at 1.1250th

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Joe,

I like your HDR affect here and think architecture really benefits from this type of presentation , then again different persons react differently to the "HDR" look so let's see the feedback on that.

THe arc of the clouds mimics the arc of the seashore and sea walls well and works to balance the image top to bottom. I like the inclusion of the structure in the lower right but think a little more of it was needed though I am satisfied with what you did capture. Looking around the edges I noticed; (a) lower left a clipped grass on the sand and clipped rock in the water, (b) right a clipped edge of palm tree. It is sometimes tough to find that best terminus but work to eliminate small edge intrusions of clipped edges of elements. Minor stuff to be sure but mind your edges. :)

Overall a good looking image. Nice work.

denise ippolito
10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Joe, Sounds like a dream vacation! I love this one and the way you processed it appeals to me. As Robert said I think the architecture works well w/ the grunge look and I like that you toned down the effect considerably. Beautiful colors and the flow of the sky is wonderful.

Dave Mills
10-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Joe, I feel your pseudo HDR worked out well and further amplified the buildings bright colors. The sky plays a big role in the image and benefited by devoting that much space to it.
Agree with Roberts point about the clipped areas but they are easy fixes. The grunge look is very subjective but I like it if done well...

Roman Kurywczak
10-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Hey Joe,
I really think this a a strong comp and tweaks mentioned above will only help. I am not the biggest fan of the grunge look.....but it does work here. I would like to see this with the building and palms behiind the main one brought up a touch.....but overall very well done!

Rene Quenneville
10-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Beautiful image and HDR realy adds a twist to the look. As it often happens, HDR is not very effective in skies. In this case it makes the cloouds a little too blue. One way to go around it is to put your HDR image over the original in PS and play with a few blending modes and masking. WhatI would try to achieve here is to makethe clouds stand out a little more.

Joe Senzatimore
10-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks all for the great input. Trying to hone my landscape skills and your comments help a great deal. Still much to learn.:)