PDA

View Full Version : Polar bear Sow with Cub

Sid Garige
10-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Canon 7D, 500mm F4+1.4x
F8 1/1200 ISO 640

This the first polar bear I saw in the wild and unfortunately, she has some kind of injury and dragging her hind leg. The moment she saw us she started walking towards the beach with her two young cubs. Our guide decided we should not bother her anymore and go look for some other bear. During the next 4 days we saw her everyday resting pretty much in the same place. It was nice to see all the guides in the village maintaining distance from this sow.

http://luminepixels.com/tmp/kkak-001.jpg

Harshad Barve
10-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh boy , this is absolute sweet image , lovely pose by both of them and spot on techs
looks like you had blast of time there
TFS

Ken Watkins
10-10-2010, 01:12 AM
What a great trip you had, another beautiful image.

The ice in the BG could be considered by some to be a little distracting, but I do not mind it.

I hope the injury clears up its a harsh world up there.

Paul Lagasi
10-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Sid..with every image you post, it makes me want to get up there, lovely image both bears looking at camera..very nice
Memories for a lifetime..you gotta love it

Nancy Bell
10-10-2010, 09:35 AM
I can only say WOW for all of your polar bear images! What an incredible experience. I am envious :). I still wonder how you got so close to these huge animals and lived to show the tale.

Grace Scalzo
10-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Fabulous image, Sid, I personally love the habitat elements.

thijs broekkamp
10-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Great picture!

Sid Garige
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
The ice in the BG could be considered by some to be a little distracting, but I do not mind it.
I hope the injury clears up its a harsh world up there.

Ken,

Those are waves in the background. Very rough sea with 15 to 20 foot swells.
It seems bears mainly use their front legs in swimming and use hind legs for navigation. According to the guides, if she makes to the ice pack she will be fine.
We saw her swimming pretty well back and forth from bone pile at night.

-Sid

Sid Garige
10-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Sid..with every image you post, it makes me want to get up there, lovely image both bears looking at camera..very nice
Memories for a lifetime..you gotta love it

Thanks Paul. Yes, this trip brought memories of life time.

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Another good looking image Sid. Comparing it to the others you posted, I find those BG's more appealing then the waves here.

Gary Hamilton
10-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Gorgeous series of images, Sid. I hope there are many more to come.

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Another incredible image Sid. Certainly looks like a fruitful trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Ken,

Those are waves in the background. Very rough sea with 15 to 20 foot swells.
It seems bears mainly use their front legs in swimming and use hind legs for navigation. According to the guides, if she makes to the ice pack she will be fine.
We saw her swimming pretty well back and forth from bone pile at night.

-Sid

Sid,

I would never have seen them as waves, that is pretty rough. No wether for a smallboat:D

Thanks for the good news on the bear, we need all we can get.

denise ippolito
10-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Wow -was the first word that came to mind. Nice poses and IQ. :)

Don Lacy
10-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Sid, The whole series has been outstanding you have managed to capture unique images of the bears showing them in their habitat that we are not use to seeing.