PDA

View Full Version : Wildebeest crossing

Charles Glatzer
10-09-2010, 09:09 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked!

Masi Mara, Kenya

We were very fortunate to see 3 crossings and be able to photograph two from a great vantage point. I covered the event with every focal length at my disposal. From close-ups of wildebeest jumping to wider images showing more of the story it was a privilege to see and photograph this natural spectacle.

Just in from 4 weeks on the road.

1D Mark IV , 70-200mm
Manual, spot off grass, 1/640 @ f/7.1, ISO 400
Post-production- CS5, NIK, Macbook Pro

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas

Ken Watkins
10-09-2010, 10:41 PM
A "classic" crossing shot, the water has obviously returned this year:)

You certainly had a good vantage point you seem to be very low from what I remember, the light is a bit harsh but they cross when they want to (or think they do) very rarely in ideal lighting conditions.

The milling masses in the BG adds greatly to the image, plus of course the leap at the waters edge.

Sid Garige
10-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Excellent image Chas. Very well represents the how grand these crossing can be.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Chas,
I like the composition. You were in a good position. It tells the story nicely. Would love to see this one someday. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
10-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Hi Chas, you have capture the moment and essence spot on. This illustrates their need to cross extremely well, with the herding, queuing, pushing, jostling that goes on before their leap of death into the river. Although their desire for crossing the river is great, I am sure they know what fate is lying in wait. It certainly is one of natures specticals with 20-30 thousand plus crossing at the peak, perhaps more. Agree with Ken regarding the light, plus the volume of vehicles racing to get prime spot!

TFS
Steve

Paul Lagasi
10-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Chas..its beauty...every person who pines to go on safari would love this chance...you did really well capturing this moment..TFS

LouBuonomo
10-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Super Chas ! Glad the trip went well.

thijs broekkamp
10-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Awesome action image!

Robert Amoruso
10-10-2010, 11:10 AM
You were definitely in a good position. Besides the strong graphic look of the ones int he water coming at you, the right to left turn of the crossing provides a strong leading line.

Rachel Hollander
10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Chas - Like this a lot. Great action and I agree with Robert about the leading line.

TFS,
Rachel

Grace Scalzo
10-11-2010, 11:35 AM
This is one of those images that can be enjoyed in so many ways, from the grand scale event full of action, power, etc, to the individuals within it (the one mid-leap, the one in the llc, for ex). Stunning image, Chas.

Andrew Aveley
10-14-2010, 07:44 AM
i really enjoy these crossing images. this one really stands out for all the above reasons.