PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Tanager

Nancy Bell
10-09-2010, 06:05 PM
This tanager was photographed in the Atlantic Rainforest (where it rains alot :o) in south eastern Brazil. There was a banana feeder nearby. I photographed between rain showers/deluges and I believe the dark, rainy day added to the saturation of colors. That silver/white spot on the lower beak belongs there. I cloned out a few distracting branches.

Canon 7D, Canon 400 f4 DO IS, tripod.
ISO 640, 1/125, f4.5

All c & c very welcome.

Mike Tracy
10-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow, I have never seen such a red......................anything. If the colors are accurate he might be one of the coolest birds I have seen. Nice sharpness on the eye and not having any bright spots on the beak.

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Ditto Mike. Killer reds and I love the red iris. The colors are mega intense. You might try lightening the whole thing a bit. Is Brazilian Tanager the correct species name? It looks a bit like Silver-beaked Tanager.

John Guastella
10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Simply beautiful, Nancy. In the dictionary, under the definition for "red", they should just have this image: no words necessary.

You might consider a bit of NR on the background (particularly the top of the frame) and perhaps on the bird's tail.

John

Martin Wallis
10-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Very SHARP, especially at that SS. I guess that's where tripods come into play. Awesome. I'd also run a little NR just for the noise that can be seen on the tail and the black area of the wing. Love the smooth BG. Well done.

Adams Serra
10-10-2010, 08:16 AM
One of the most beautiful Brazilian birds. Nice feather detail and background.

Nancy Bell
10-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Thank you everyone. This is a true rendition of the reds. Most South American tanagers are colorful but this one out does them all! Brazilian Tanager is the correct name. It is in the same genus as the Silver-beaked Tanager. Appreciate the suggestions, I'll apply them.

Arthur Morris
10-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Hey Nancy, Thanks for the species info :)

denise ippolito
10-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Nancy, Beautifully captured. The reds are gorgeous and the eye is the icing on top! Well done.

allanrube
10-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Beautiful bird, great bg.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Brazilian Tanager (Ramphocelus bresilius)
Silver-beaked Tanager (Ramphocelus carbo) is found in the northern half of South America east of the Andes but is missing from south-east Brazil where its geographic replacement is the Brazilian Tanager.
Both species are very much alike but Ramphocelus bresilius is endemic to the east coast of Brazil from Paraíba to Santa Catarina.

Amazing reds and what a stunning beak! thanks for sharing. Ditto Arthur about the killer red eye.

Arthur Morris
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks JC. I figured that they had to be cousins.

subramanya_ck
10-11-2010, 02:40 AM
I am in love with this image. Can't take my eyes off it. Brilliant colors, superb exposure and great HA & BKGR

Arthur Morris
10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I am in love with this image. Can't take my eyes off it. Brilliant colors, superb exposure and great HA & BKGR

Bhai, I cannot tell you how much the comments of members are appreciated here. But they are valued greatly. We are trying to think of ways to get everyone more involved, so, thanks for being involved.

What do your friends call you?

Mital Patel
10-11-2010, 11:42 AM
nancy this is surely a mega hit image for me. i would forget everything besides i just involve in this bird so much after i opened up in big. But as we all know here we are trying to improve i would say a bit of crop from top. a round of NR on the bg and may be a chroma noise reduction (while converting a raw) a bit would be good imrpovement.
Just my own opinion not necessarily to be true for all.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I love the species and you did a great job capturing the beauty of it .... perfect light and in terms of color and brightness a killer background.

Parabens!!