PDA

View Full Version : Australasian Gannet

Martin Wallis
10-09-2010, 03:32 PM
canon 7D, 100-400IS
1/4000 @ 5.6
ISO 800
manual exposure
I was shooting some white fronted terns in a darker area hence the high ISO.
It was just quicker and easier to increase shutter speed at the time than drop the ISO.
Having said that, I'm very happy with it.
A slight crop and increased clarity and vibrance slightly in LR3.
Be harsh :D

Daniel Cadieux
10-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I really like the concept of this image, well seen and good call in going for the easier and faster tech tweak when it was down to quick decision time...ISO 800 is no longer that high anyhow:). In any case the angled grass implies high winds so perhaps you needed the high SS anyhow to freeze those. I also like the matching OOF grass blades behind the head, and of course the one going through the mouth is very neat. Perfect exposure, and great colours. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the OOF grass above and behind the upper mandible, but otherwise all good.

David Gancarz
10-09-2010, 04:35 PM
The colors work beautifully together. Nothing to be harsh about IMO.

Nancy Bell
10-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I really like the moment captured with the mouth open and the grass blown in. Beautiful lighting and colors. Well done.

Martin Wallis
10-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Daniel I hadn't noticed the OOF grass until you mentioned it, I'll definately remove it. Yes, there was a fairly strong wind blowing the grass around. They use the wind to make take off easier. I was climbed down to where they nest on a not so steep windy cliff face. Cheers

Randy Stout
10-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Martin:

A striking image, nice techs, colors, comp. Do they eat the grasses, or was it just coincidental that it was in the mouth?

Cheers.

Randy

Martin Wallis
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Randy: The grass had just been blown into the beak by the wind. I'm pretty sure they don't eat it, however whilst I was there (a couple of weeks ago), the gannets were pulling loads of vegetation from the ground to use as their nesting material.
Cheers

allanrube
10-10-2010, 03:23 PM
The colors do a lot for me in this image. I am not sure about the grass in the mouth???

Tony Whitehead
10-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Great job on this one, Martin. Love the BG , grasses and crisp detail.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Love the head angle, the right-on EXP, and of course, the grasses.