PDA

View Full Version : Crowned Crane

Ken Watkins
10-09-2010, 05:33 AM
We found a pair of these on the shores of lake Kariba, unfortunately the light was fading anf the position was not so good. This has been extensively cloned and patched in an attempt to remove large OOF tree trunks in BG.

Taken from Lake Kariba, Matusadona National Park, Zimbabwe whilst stating At Rhino Island Lodge, 17th September 2010

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 IS hand-held from drifting boat

F5, ISO 800, 1/1000

Mike Tracy
10-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I really like how the gray feathers radiate across his body and the swooping ones coming off his neck. The available light lent itself well for bringing out his colors and details. Wish his head was a little higher so not to merge with the body. Evidence of your cleanup is still evident but just a little more TLC should clean that up.

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Loverly bird, feather patterns, and BKGR. And sharp enough. The foreground is unfortunately distracting and as you implied, it would have been much better if the bird had been standing on the ridge rather than behind it. Ditto Mike on the bill/body merge.

Ken Watkins
10-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Mike,

Would you be kind enough to point out where extra work needs to be done?

Artie & Mike

Thanks for pointing the merge, it is something I had completely overlooked in my excitement. I will now return to look at the other images.

Mike Tracy
10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Mike,

Would you be kind enough to point out where extra work needs to be done?

If you sit back and view it there is a subtle "V" to the left of the bird.

I think in spite of the less than perfect foreground it would be greatly improved if you cropped right above the prominent rock.

Ken Watkins
10-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Mike,

Yes I see what you mean, I'll try to tidy it up, I agree the crop at the bottom will help.

Thanks very much:)

Geoff Warnock
10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
On the whole I think you've done a nice job on the PS work if it was as extensive as you suggest. I like the location of the bird for composition but I feel like it would be nice to have a bit more space top and bottom. I also really like these birds and was lucky to get some close up portraits of a very bold captive one recently.

Ken Watkins
10-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Sorry just found out that this should more correctly be described as a Grey Crowned Crane.

Believe it or not there are now captive breeding programmes in SA .

Sid Garige
10-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Would love to see if you have a closeup portrait of this guy. Awesome light and fantastic pose.

Ken Watkins
10-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Would love to see if you have a closeup portrait of this guy.

Me too, but unfortunately for me at least this is a rare sighting, and this sighting was the best we have ever had.

We will be there next year around the same time, we just hope they will be as well:)