PDA

View Full Version : Coal Tit

Jonathan Ashton
10-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Bean Bag, Canon 7D, Canon 100-400L IS @360mm, ISO 125 -0.67, 1/500 sec @f5.6
Shot taken from my garden hide, I placed seeds on a bird table just below and in front of the moss covered log, this ebcouraged the birds to land on the log as opposed to the table.

All C&C welcome.

Scott Frye
10-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Bird stands out well from the background and you did a good job getting visibility of the black eye coming from the black head -- I like the pose and perch

Arthur Morris
10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
BKRG colors match the perch nicely. Sharpness OK. Pose is a bit awkward. The big mistake that you made was putting yourself in the right spot with regards to sun angle.... Position yourself so that your shadow is pointing right at the perch and if need be, move the perch for a pleasing BKGR. See the basics of creating set-ups in the Practicalities Chapter in ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=32) (916 pages on CD only).

Daniel Cadieux
10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Good tip by Artie (re: light angle). I agree the pose is a bit awkward, I would have preferred the body and tail to have swung towards us for a better overall profile. Awesome BG, well chosen in that regard. Good thing with these birds is that you can entice them to land just about anywhere, so practise and experimentation with light angle/BG/different perches is possible and easy.

Jonathan Ashton
10-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the C&C everyone, I have to agree about the lighting, I am coming to the conclusion that the reflector is no substitute for plain flat light. I also have a portable hide, I will have to put it to use.