PDA

View Full Version : Female Cardinal

Joel Eade
10-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I dug this out of my archives....before my education here began...looking at this exif data I don't see how I got any sharp images.

This is from my setup in the yard using a feeder and a camo hide

EOS 40D
300mm 2.8L + 1.4TC
Tripod
Program mode
Spot Metering
1/80
iso 250
f/4

Jeff Dyck
10-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I like the pose and composition Joel. Nice job getting such a sharp image at that shutter speed. I would think about cutting a bit of the mid-tone contrast (i.e. reverse S-curve) and desaturating the green a few notches. A little clean-up of the glare / hot spot on the bill might also be in order.

Lance Peters
10-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Hi Joel - looking at those techs - spot metering - Yes know this was a while ago - the result was not too bad, all things considered.
Guessing you would not use the same techs now :)

Good HA and eye contact - sharp - might tone down the greens in the BG a tad.
:)

Julie Kenward
10-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey, Joel, why don't you tell the others what you'd do differently now so they can benefit from your experience! If you saw this bird in this position now, what would you do differently with camera settings? With the position of the bird and perch? Any ideas?

Joel Eade
10-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for commenting Julie......nowadays, after the benefit of one year at BPN....

I would probably be in manual mode with evaluative metering and I would increase the ISO to get at least a shutter speed equal to 1/focal length and I might go for more depth of field with a higher f-stop as well.

If the bird was cooperative I might try for a vertical shot or two also.

Peter Farrell
10-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Very nice pose and good detail in the bird. I also have looked back at my older images and wondered the same thing as you. This forum has been a very valuable learning experience for me as well,
Peter

Bob Miller
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Joel ...know what you mean by looking back at earlier images and thinking what was i doing! been there many times.!..This shot looks good to me and suggestions above are spot on.