Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/50"
F16
ISO:400
LR & CS3
Tripod

While I was hunting flies to photograph, I found this cute little guy on a potted Dahlia on my back porch. I assume he was also hunting flies but for a different reason. :)

The BG is the white vinyl siding on my garage. Cropped, used curves to even out the shadows on the BG, cloned out a few blemishes on the leaf. Because of all the white hairs, I did a little less sharpening than usual.

WIlliam Maroldo
10-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Very nice Ken! Detail is great, I like the HK background, composition and the angle you captued the little guy. I can't see any problems, but I would be tempted to select the large area of the leafs underside, which would be real easy, and darken it considerably. Great work. regards~Bill

Dave Mills
10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Ken, Agree that you did a very nice job on this! Between the sharpness and the HK bkrnd the spider really pops.
My only suggestion might be to crop a small bit of the left. (just past the white spot by the bend) Good one!!

Steve Maxson
10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Ken. Jumping spiders are one of my favorite critters, but I can't say I've had much luck photographing them - yet. :) The spider is giving you a nice pose with good eye contact :) and I like those little star-burst patterns in the eyes. The diagonal comp also works well here. The white background is not working that well for me (though I see that William and Dave thought it was fine). The background and all the bright white hairs on the spider make the light look very harsh, IMO. This may have been a place to try a diffusion screen - assuming that you had 2 or 3 extra hands to position everything. :) I do like Dave's idea for a crop from the left. When I look at the image, my eye goes to the spider, but then gets sucked over to the LLC. A crop would place more emphasis on your subject and you would still keep the rolled over edge of the leaf.

Ken Childs
10-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I may have already posted this link here but this guy's photos will make you drool, as long as you aren't Jules! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/sets/72157614567127550/

Steve Maxson
10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I may have already posted this link here but this guy's photos will make you drool, as long as you aren't Jules! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/sets/72157614567127550/

No kidding!!! It's amazing how reflective those eyes are - especially when you realize that they're TINY! I think even Jules would appreciate these. :)

Julie Kenward
10-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Ahem...

:2eyes2:

Did you all think I wouldn't hear you talking about me down here???

I am EVERYWHERE I tell you!!!

Now, as for jumping spiders...they are the ONLY ones I consider to have any kind of cuteness factor whatsoever. Who couldn't love those great big eyes? And the fact that they never get very big...well that adds to their charm. :D

The links are wild...that guy needs to get a life, though. hahaha

Ken, I like this image quite a bit but I also think a non-white BG would also be nice. I do like it as presented but a bit of color to even out it's opposite corner would maybe feel stronger to me. Excellent details and comp, though.

For the record, I drove to work last week and got out of my car and walked into my office. I set my purse down and suddenly felt as if my vision in front of my glasses went wonky. I looked over the top of them and, oh yes, wait for it....an itsy bitsy spider came tumbling down out of my HAIR and was hanging directly within my line of vision.

And you people wonder why spiders freak me out...

But that's not the worst story...I have two more that are way worse than this one. I think I feel a blog post coming on... :p

Melissa Groo
10-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Wonderful capture! I do think the background is a bit jarring in its whiteness. Awesome clarity. I'm wondering if you used a flash of any kind?

Ken Childs
10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Melissa, no flash was used.

Here's another version with the suggested crop and a different color BG. I selected the white BG and used selective color to add some cyan and yellow.

Steve Maxson
10-10-2010, 10:58 AM
I like it! :)

Julie Kenward
10-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I do too! It really give him some additional presence.

Melissa Groo
10-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I love it! Much more engrossing, somehow!

Cheryl Flory
10-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Agree with adding color to the background. great image. makes this spider very interesting and even almost cute!!