PDA

View Full Version : British Wildlife Photography Awards photos

Desmond Chan
10-08-2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.bwpawards.org/winners/2010/

Click on the photo to see a slide show of the photos.

I have a feeling if some of those photos were posted here, we would see comments such as "background too distracting", "wrong head angle", "wish the bird were closer" in the replies :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Thx for sharing Desmond.

Dave Leroy
10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the link Desmond.

Some interesting winners and lots of lovely photos.

I see a traveling exhibit of the 2009 winners will be in Edmonton for awhile, and apparently the only North American stop.

Dave

Ben_Sadd
10-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for posting. I adore the redpoll.

Daniel Cadieux
10-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Lots of strong images in there. Thanks for the link.

Rich Steel
10-09-2010, 03:27 AM
I made highly commended in the Biodiveristy category with a photo of a Spotted Flycatcher. Although they did not show any of the highly commended for this category on the website, the photo does appear in the book and will be in the exhibition on the Nationwide tour.

Cheers

Rich

Desmond Chan
10-09-2010, 04:28 AM
I made highly commended in the Biodiveristy category with a photo of a Spotted Flycatcher. Although they did not show any of the highly commended for this category on the website, the photo does appear in the book and will be in the exhibition on the Nationwide tour.

Cheers

Rich

I actually was trying to see if anyone from BPN participated in it.

Congratulations Rich !!

William Malacarne
10-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Congrats Rich

I wonder if someone couild make a recommendation to have a separate Forum such as IOW, IOY for putting photos by members that do good in contests or are published. There are a number of such on BPN and I think it would give them more credit that is well deserved.

Bill

Rich Steel
10-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks Des and Bill :)

Cheers

Rich

Kerry Perkins
10-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey Rich, congratulations! :D

Geraldo Hofmann
10-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Congrats Rich,

when I look at your images from the last season I am sure it is a stunning, a outstanding image.

Parabens Geraldo - on the way back to UK for a while :-)

Sid Garige
10-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Congrats Rich. Would like to see the image.

Rich Steel
10-11-2010, 01:32 PM
There you go Sid. One Spotted Flycatcher with prey. A additional rule applied to the Biodiversity category was that the bird had to be a Biodiversity Action PLan (BAP) list species which means its one thats in trouble in the UK. Between 1980 -2005 the UK breeding populations fell by 79%, a very sad statistic.

Cheers

Rich

Ben_Sadd
10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
A great capture Rich, worthy of its place. Would you be able to post the shooting data as well?

Arthur Morris
10-11-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.bwpawards.org/winners/2010/ Click on the photo to see a slide show of the photos. I have a feeling if some of those photos were posted here, we would see comments such as "background too distracting", "wrong head angle", "wish the bird were closer" in the replies :)

There are some very nice images there and some with major flaws. I am not sure what you meant by your comment. Please explain :)

Arthur Morris
10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Mazel tov Rich, That one works for me :)

Desmond Chan
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
There are some very nice images there and some with major flaws. I am not sure what you meant by your comment. Please explain :)

Yike, am I in trouble ? :o:)

Well, based on my experiences here, comments I've seen made and received myself, I would not be surprised to see comments such as those used as examples in my previous post are made on some of the winning or highly recommended images. Whether they are rightfully made or not is another question. I think all I could say is there are different standards of judging a photograph.

Arthur Morris
10-11-2010, 03:21 PM
No trouble at all. I am just trying to understand what you meant. On one hand what you said in red above could be taken as "Folks at BPN should enter because their images are better." On the other hand you might have meant that the critiques here on BPN are too critical because some of the winning images might have been strongly criticized (if posted here). From your comments in Pane 17 (especially "Whether they are rightfully made or not is another question") it looks as if you meant the latter.

There is no right or wrong in critiquing, or in picking winners in contests, just opinions. I have judged a few contests in my time and probably done at least 14,000 critiques here on BPN. Each one has been honest and from the heart and I try to critique each image as if it were my own.

Rich Steel
10-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Ben here is the shooting data
Canon 1Dmk3 with 500mm lens on tripod from pop-up hide. Evaluative metering F5.6 1/100s ISO400 +0.3EV. I was photographing redstart at this time and this just suddenly appeared as a bonus.

Des the one thing I have learnt from competitions is the judges always pick the photo you favour least and people will always criticise the winner no matter how good the photo.Thats just the way of the world.

Thanks Artie, I never knew you spoke Hebrew I can't claim to speak it but Google translate does :).

Arthur Morris
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Des the one thing I have learnt from competitions is the judges always pick the photo you favour least and people will always criticise the winner no matter how good the photo.Thats just the way of the world.
Thanks Artie, I never knew you spoke Hebrew I can't claim to speak it but Google translate does :).

Well said on the judges. I have been trashed whenever I judged :) Actually mazel tov may be more Yiddish than Hebrew. The few Yiddish words I know are from my Grandma Selma. There are some pretty interesting ones. In NY and FLA at least "mazel tov" is part of the everyday language of many cultures aside from the Jewish culture.

Robert Amoruso
10-14-2010, 07:35 AM
COngrats Rich, well deserved.